1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone play games while DirecTV2PC is going?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rschmitty, Dec 18, 2010.

1. rschmitty

rschmitty New Member

May 30, 2009
    I'm having a problem with streaming DirecTV2PC and online games going on at same time. Namely the games will disconnect from the server while it's going.

I'm on a gigabyte network in my office area connected to another gigabyte network (theater/family/bedroom) over a wireless N bridge and monitoring the streaming I am getting between 8-12 Mbits. It streams just fine, it's just that games being played will die whenever someone starts streaming some TV.

Has anyone else run into the problem before? Trying to figure out if a switch or router is getting flooded or something. I even tried getting NetLimiter on the computer being streamed to and setting that to like 5Mbits/s but it still drops the game.

The game it self uses only 30-50kbits/sec. Also doing a speed test while the DirecTV2PC is going has no effect on my normal internet speeds, so just not sure why games would be dropping. They literally drop in 2-3 minutes of starting a DirecTV2PC stream every time

Here's the network if it helps: img716.imageshack.us/img716/2152/networko.jpg (sorry wont let me post urls yet)

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    The app might be affecting packet loss or latency. As I can't play xbox live and d2pc simultaneously.

3. BsheaH

BsheaH New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Glad to see this topic, I was beginning to think it was my router, but it's obviously the application that is causing this packet loss while running games.

I have tried many settings in my router, I am running brand new cat 6a cable on a gigabit network, I have even tried running a 5ghz wireless signal at the same time to see if maybe it would pull less from the ethernet. I have tried many combinations, the app just doesn't work well with gaming.

Anyone know of a solution, will they possibly update this app to fix the problem?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Welcome to the forum.
    Since streaming requires a constant stream of bits, trying to play internet games at the same time may cause too long of a delay or change of the priories, so this may be why you're having problems, but I also don't expect this to ever be addresses with DirecTV2PC, as this app has become very old and DirecTV is moving other directions these days.

5. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    My dad remote connects to his computer at work when he's off on Fridays with Citrix and I showed him how to use Direc2PC or whatever it's called (he has dual monitors in his office) and his computer is plugged in with gigabit Ethernet on a switch but I tried it directly connected to the router. It's a quad-core albeit Core 2 Duo but it has 6GB Ram

Well it makes his Citrix keep reconnecting and we have a 30mbps Internet connection and it only happens when the
    Direc2PC is on. So he doesn't use it needless to say.