1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does DECA have to be at router, or can it go with a switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by micky76ag, May 23, 2010.

1. micky76ag

micky76ag AllStar

Feb 18, 2007
    Sorry for what is probably a repeat question. I've tried searching this forum, but can't find the definitive answer.

I'm trying to figure out if the installer will have to run coax from my multiswitch to the room where my internet router resides (going to be a tough run, I think).

My current set-up is:

Slim-line 5 lnb (four coax runs) to:

x8 multiswitch (six coax runs) to:

Three receivers (HR20-700, HR22-100, and HR22-100), two lines each (each in different room).

ATT Uverse router (not in same room with any of the TVs) -- Cat5e to:

8 port switch in attic (three Cat 5e runs) to:

A four port switch in each TV room (1 cat5e) run to:

Each of the HRs.

This set-up worked great for MRV Beta and works well for all other internet/network DirecTV functions.

If I go to DECA, I know I will have to have a new LNB and a new multiswitch for the SWiM -- but those will not require any new coax runs (I assume) -- they will just use one of the existing two runs to each receiver.

I also understand that each receiver will need a DECA.

But, the router also needs a DECA, too (with a power supply?), correct?

Does that DECA and power supply have to be directly connected to the router (in same room) or could it be located with the 8-port switch in the attic?

2. Ken984

Ken984 DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    It can go anywhere you have a live ethernet connection.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    SWiM uses less coax since one will work for both tuners in a DVR.
    This should free up one of them for your DECA to internet and "all it needs to do is" connect to your home network.

4. micky76ag

micky76ag AllStar

Feb 18, 2007
    Thanks!

So, in sounds like the "router'" DECA could even go with one of the four port switches in the TV rooms and use one of the now spare coax runs from the multiswitch?

5. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    yep, since MRV traffic (the major load on ethernet) is all handled inside the deca connections, it's not so critical where it hooks up..