1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does Direct Tv Now Have Local Weather From The Weather Channel?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sharklover, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 33
    sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    I read on another site they just implemented it.If it's true is it like local on the 8's you see on cable?

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 33
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Can you post a link?

As the closest it would come is the Active channel...
    Which I think is from Weather Channel.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 33
    Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Interactive weather is NOTHING like locals on the 8s. It is just a screen that gives the temperatures and I think shows rain/snow. I'm not even sure about that because I was very disappointed in it and never went back to the site :raspberry

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 33
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    "Locals on the 8's" are inserted by local cable companies. It's not feasible for DirecTV to customize everyone's Weather Channel with these local inserts. That's why they have their "Active" weather information.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 33
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I believe it's E* that has the Weather Channel local forecasts. There's been speculation that D* may find a way to implement it some time in the future.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 33
    myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, if E* has it, then why would D* have a hard time with it? (Other than bandwidth issues.)

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 33
    MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    I took E* a long time to get it. They said that they would have it by Feb of last year. And I remember that come summer, they still didn't have it. They kept running into problems. I left them for D* late last year and they still didn't have it though they did have your "local weather on the 8's" in their DISH HOME channel (like Active). I don't know if they have it now where it will pop up on the Weather Channel or not.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 33
    jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    I wonder if it's possible for directv to start carrying Weatherscan Local. It would need to be a local channel - so it wouldn't be available everywhere - but it is produced by the weather channel. And, severe weather watches aside, I actually prefer it to TWC proper. It was one of the things I missed when I left Comcast for DirecTV, and was glad to see that fios carried (since I switched over to them). And all it shows is local weather (and sometimes local traffic conditions) - over and over again - complete with doppler radar, 5 day forecasts, and a somewhat detailed daily forecast. Complete with that nice TWC music in the background! It sure beats waiting for "weather on the 8's."

Just a thought if this was even possible. It wouldn't be a case, I don't think, of directv ADDING the local weather feed. It would be a truly local channel.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 33
    finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    If you have OTA, you can have continuous local weather channels, as in Chicago, like 5-2,7-2,etc.:D

10. sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    I was thinking the same thing.E doesn't have local on the 8's yet but they have been testing it.They do have local weather on channel 100 the interactive channel but this weatherscan would be the perfect solution to both E and D.I sent E an email about it.The way weatherscan is set up it's probebly possible to get it for your local area on satellite.

11. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Considering most people have computers, why is this an issue? Why would D even care about local weather? When a storm hits your locals handle it, and when it's a major event TWC covers it, but the net always is far more up to date.

Forecast Fox for Firefox with the Enhanced add on is all you'll ever need.

12. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    Sometimes, I don't feel like getting on the computer. It's in a different room and when one is relaxing on the couch after a long day, why not have it on your TV? Your remote is already in your hand:D I am of the mindset that if the technology is there with satellite TV, why not use it? That is what satellite TV needs to do to compete with crappy cable and their bundled packages.

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    That would work if i could pick up any channels OTA

14. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I have to believe the weather function on the active channel was developed by Dyson because it sucks powerfully and continues to suck with continuous power no matter how long it is in use.

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If they're anything like my local network channels, all you'd have to do is tune to your local channel - they have the screen pulled back with all kinds of weather crap running all over it and they continually break into the broadcast. Should give you all you need.

16. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I hope in the future, D* can get everyones locals on the Weather Channel.

But, it isnt that important. I have WeatherBug that suits me just fine on my computer

17. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    If they can't give everyone local weather ... how about they create 6 or 8 regional weather channels which they can spot beam. Although Local "Local on the 8s" is the ideal, Regional "Local on the 8s" is better than National "Local on the 8s".

Local weather on the Weather Channel is one of the things that I miss with DTV, even after 10+ years.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They should include NBC Weather Plus with your local channels

Although that would screw me because i get my locals from Boston, Even Though the Portland ME DMA would fit me more

19. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Godfather

Dec 6, 2005
    I liked what Primestar did with the Weather Channel, They would have the main channel and then regional channels that would continuously show weather maps, radar, and 5 day forecast for the region.

20. Xram

Xram Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    It could be possible to implement if you have your receivers networked and connected to the internet. (HR20's at the moment)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.