1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does Dish deliver any OTA sub-channels via satellite?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by FTA Michael, Oct 31, 2013.

1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Not counting those small markets with few broadcasters where a major network happens to be carried on a sub-channel, does anyone get his Antenna TV or ME TV or whatever from a local sub-channel delivered via satellite by Dish?

I know that some Dish receivers can process OTA channels including digital sub-channels, but I'm curious about LILs, especially since OTA seems to be an afterthought these days.

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Not via satellite, no.

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I think in a few markets, METV is included with the line up. But in those cases, METV is run on the primary channel. Dish does not carry any sub channels per se, but they do carry some channels that are carried on subs, like PBS V-ME. I sure wish they did carry subs as I cannot get access to Antenna TV here. METV, THIS, RTV, Movies, etc are all FTA via the big dish, which I still use for extra programming. But Antenna TV has their channel scrambled, so unless you have an OTA station running it, you are out of luck. I really want Antenna TV.

Patrick.

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The problem is unlike V-Me, many of those subchannels have deals with the local affiliate where nearly all the advertising is sold locally.

As for true LIL subchannels, they do carry some of them for Alaska and Hawaii because of an FCC requirement.

5. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]FTA Michael, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]We do not carry the sub-channels but most of our receivers have the ability to connect an OTA antenna. You will then be able to scan the all the locals in that you can receive, and watch them through your DISH guide. IF you want me to check all the options for you, please PM me with the phone number. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks [/SIZE]

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have ONE extra subchannel carried in my market (South Bend). It is in the guide as "ESBT" and was originally a UPN affiliate. It is a subchannel of WSBT, the CBS affiliate in my market. While the UPN network went away (another station had the WB affiliation and is now the CW station) that subchannel remains on the satellite today. WSBT uses it as "SBT2" for syndicated programming.

I would not be surprised to find other examples of subchannels being transmitted via DISH that are not major networks. Apparently at the time DISH added WSBT 22 they were asked to carry the subchannel as part of the agreement and the agreement just keeps getting renewed. I wish more of the subchannels would get carriage ... but it doesn't appear anyone has pulled the right strings in a negotiation.

7. JR_Baas

JR_Baas AllStar

May 5, 2005
    I have the same thing in the Grand Rapids, MI market. The CW7 is a subchannel of WWMT 3. When WWMT renewed their contract, the CW7 in SD was added to the dish lineup.