1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Dish Network plan on getting any programming from the U.K.?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by poopoo, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poopoo

poopoo Registered User

Apr 26, 2004
    I am just wondering if they are planning a UK international package that includes, for example, BBC1, BBC2, Sky Sports, Eurosport etc.

I think that this would sell well to all the Europeans and/or those who like Biritish programming and football (soccer)

Thanks

2. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    Well, there is BBC America if you like watching a lot of home improvement shows and reruns of Absolutely Fabulous. The Office was the only good thing they put on IMHO. I think you might want to write to the people who program BBC America and get them to put on the kinds of things you want to see.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Seeing Ruppert Murdock bought Directv and he owns B Sky B you have a far better chance of Directv offering British programming. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for either service to offer more than BBC America.

4. Presence

Presence Godfather

Mar 14, 2004
    BBC America was actually an excellent channel...

until the "improvement" craze took over. Now it's all those crap shows, as also seen now on TLC, HGTV, MTV, VH1, networks, etc.

5. PSB

PSB New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Well there is Euronews! It costs $4 a month but its not much of a deal for twenty mins. of news on a loop! I come from the UK and I watch news online at the BBC, I think this is the only way WE are going to get any TV from home here in the US, I have a Ku band FTA system and have been lucky enough to get a few BBC news feeds, the best I have come across so far was about 5 hours of F1 racing live from Australia, it was being beemed back to the UK, it was on for about five hours and included all the ITV adverts live, it was good while it lasted : ) I also pick up a lot of football from around the world, not too much from the UK, but footy is footy! All the best! I agree that DirecTV would have more chance of British TV in the near future, I also think it would really sell well over here! BBCAmerica..........is crap!

6. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    English football rights are already owned by Fox Sports World. As far as regular programming from Britain, a "UK-TV" type station would be great. I get the impression, however, that the BBC wants to try and sell its programming to the highest bidder (ie: a station over here already on the air) and therefore has little interest developing its own station. The previous comment about the downfall of BBC America is absolutely on the money: Hour after hour of garden and home shows. I've got nothing against that kind of programming but it gets old quickly when you show little else.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe there are licensing issues with the programmes shown. Rights in the US have been soild off (or in some cases, the British channels have bought US programming for European consumption).

Some of the sports may appear as part as subscription sports packages.

And, despite Rupert's connection, I suspect that E* will have the British channels before D* (if anyone does). E* has the bandwidth and prior commitment to internationals.

JL

8. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    I understand that most BBC feeds would have rights issues, but I would at least like to see Dish carry BBC World (news channel). Canada and Australia get it, so why can't we?

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wonder how much people would pay for it, and how many would pay.

I like the idea of a non-US centric news source, but I'm not sure I'd pay much more than a couple of bucks for it. And there are probably not enough payers to make it viable.

JL

10. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004

Actually the change in programming was that BBCA have dertermined their goal to be to make it a channel watched by Americans, not Brit-EX-Pats. They had a press release about this a year ago.

11. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    After the recent information coming out about the BBC I wouldn't trust their news. That's sad because at one time they were they king of news.

BTW... BBC World News airs on almost all PBS stations in the United States.

12. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    It will NOT happen. not because of Dish... but because the BBC makes a lot of money from negociating separate deals with US TV stations to carry their programs. Even with BBC America they often sell rights to other channels and and let BBC carry older shows. A&E and PBS get better shows that BBCA quite frequently.

SKY SPORTS is "kinda" on already. Murdoch's Fox Sports World carries Murdoch's Sky Sports News a couple of times per day and FSW also carries many UK football matches that Sky Sports carries. Other networks, mainly ESPN, have the USA rights to other sporting events that Sky Sports carries. Thus it is unlikely that we would ever get the full Sky Sports networks. I've tried arguing that they be carried and content blacked out when they do not own USA distribution rights for certain events. No one seems interested in doing that though. Same for Eurosport.

I would love to see Sky News or even BBC News24 on Dish. The argument against it appears centered around rights to show certain news items in the USA. Often, if you are watching raw news feeds from Reuters or AP on Ku-Band, you we see messages that state that the news clip is "embargo'd" for North America. What I do not undertsand is ...this is always cited as an issue for non-USA networks to send news to the USA but in Canada CNN (North America CNN) and Fox News are freely carried. In Europe CNNI and Fox News are widely available. So, why we in the USA cannot be given CBC, CTV news, BBC, or Sky News, is a mystery.

13. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    They still have better editorial standards than any USA new network and are much more indendent from goverment influence than any USA network.

14. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    But, it should have programming with a British flavor, not just American programming with British accents.

15. Jasper

Jasper Guest

This is why BBC World is not available here. BBC have sold the rights to a PBS station group and the owners of BBC America.

Fox News is not available in Canada, although there is a move afoot to get the CRTC to change its condition of license. BBC World is included in the news tier on Canadian DBS.

As for the others, CBC tried entering the U.S. market in the late 1990's with Newsworld International and Trio. Neither were successful and were eventually sold to U.S. interests. CTV has not, to my Knowledge, ever made the attempt with CTV NewsNet. And Sky News? Why would Newscorp want to dilute Fox News' audience with another co-owned news channel?

16. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Why can canadian sattelite companies carry US networks but E* and D* cant carry canadian networks?

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Careful, some of that programming was British first - then was Americanized.

JL

18. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Oh yeah? Well, makeover shows suck in both languages.

19. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    THAT's what I really would like to know.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    He who owns the rights to the programming makes the rules.

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.