1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does DTV not broadcast the LFE channel?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ToBeFrank, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    I've noticed while watching movies that bass always seems to be lacking. Today, I got confirmation that the LFE channel is definitely missing while watching Cloverfield. I have a massive sub and this blu ray is one of my demo movies for bass. The opening thumps will literally rattle my walls. With DTV's broadcast on FXHD, the opening thumps were barely audible. Has anyone else noticed that the LFE seems to be missing in movies? Strange that they would cut it out since it doesn't take up that much bandwidth.

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    If the mix includes LFE and there is none when watching it...it's an issue with that network, not the provider.

3. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    I'd tend to agree if all the movies I've watched weren't seemingly missing the LFE. The LFE is technically there (shows up on my receiver), but the content is clearly missing. Maybe all the networks remove it to save space? Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I don't think the LFE channel really takes up that much space to begin with. Someone will correct me if I'm off base on this, but low frequencies take very very little data to reproduce.

5. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    Agreed, which is why I don't know why they wouldn't include it. I wonder if it's the case of a switch on the encoder that nobody turns on?

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    My guess is they are using DRC, so the bass isn't as noticeable.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's a good point. You really can't compare a blu-ray with uncompressed DolbyHD or DTS-MA sound to a TV channel that is compressed.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If that is the case I hope they keep it compressed for my sake.
    My son's 2,000 watt Velodyne sub already rattles the pictures on the wall in my den that is about 40 feet from where he has his system.
    If they uncompress it I will not be able to hear mine. LOL
    Sometime I "Watch" TV because I can not hear it over his system.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I get bass on most of my D* content just fine.

10. KK in CT

KK in CT Legend

Jul 13, 2010

I do as well. Lot's of bass.

11. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    Why would they apply DRC to only the LFE channel? I'd be willing to bet the little bass I did hear on those thumps was what was actually in the L/R channels and the LFE content was completely missing.

Not true. If you do some spectrum graphs of compressed DD and/or DTS with the uncompressed audio on blu ray, you'll find many of them are nearly identical. Certainly not enough difference where one has little to no LFE and the other has shake your walls LFE.

I expected these responses. If you have a good sub, you should compare the broadcast of Cloverfield to DVD or bluray. I guarantee you can't say you're hearing plenty of bass after that comparison.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Sub lite? ;)

13. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Sevens grams of fat or less...

14. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I have several good subs and they do just fine. I watch movies via Blu Ray and TV shows via Directv, so there's no reason for me to do a comparison.

Your guarantee not withstanding, I can tell you though that I get plenty of bass from D* as my sub is only at level 4. Originally I had it on 6 (with sub boost on the receiver) and my wife complained that there was too much bass.

15. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    My sub kicks out just fine on DBS channels, just like on my OTA channels...

I also had to turn my sub sown because it scared my son...

16. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    Of course not... it might prove you wrong.

This statement tells me your audio levels are not even calibrated. I could turn my sub up too while watching DTV, but then it wouldn't be calibrated correctly.

17. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Wrong? Your claim according to the thread title is that D* does not output an LFE channel. You further explain in your first post that the LFE channel seems to be missing, and that perhaps they've edited it out.

That is false. I don't need to compare a blu ray movie to a broadcast movie to know that the LFE channel is there. I hear it on every 5.1 show that I watch.

If you don't have an LFE channel than there is something wrong with YOUR equipment.

Plain and Simple.

Yes, it's calibrated correctly, but as I mentioned, there's a difference between watching movies and watching TV (which is what I use D* for). I don't want room rattling bass when I'm making dinner or helping the kids with their homework.

18. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    Uh, no. I was asking if anyone else noticed it missing. It definitely was on Cloverfield, and my instinct while watching other movies in the past was that it was missing or drastically reduced.

Yes. It definitely is on the Cloverfield broadcast I watched.

But you didn't do the comparison and refuse to so how can you make that statement???

How do you know you're not hearing the bass from the L/R channels rather than the LFE channel?

Uh, no. There won't be many more highly calibrated home systems than mine.

Not quite.

Care to elaborate how you calibrated it? I'm still not buying it.

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    They wouldn't, they would apply DRC to the entire soundtrack. This would effect the amount of bass as well as the amount of extreme high sounds.

20. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Care to elaborate on why I need to make a comparison? It either has bass or it doesn't. Perhaps you need an A/B comparison to determine if something has bass or not, but I don't.

I'll go back to my original statement: everything I've watched on D* that's supposed to have bass, has had bass.