1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does DTV Plan On Doing Any New Types Of Dishes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerCSM, May 13, 2010.

1. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I know the new H/HR24 series are coming out soon but does DTV plan on any new dishes that would not go out during heavy downpours? We have signals in the upper 90's but during heavy downpours HD channels would go out for a few mins then come back on. I know the slimline is the latest one which we have but is their any new ones planed after that? Thanks.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Maybe. You'll see it here if there was.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I doubt that any new dish could completely eliminate "rain fade".

4. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Is HD going out for about five mins or so during heavy downpours normal?

5. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    The slimline and the original, IMHO, have always been very good for SS and hard rains. I just dont see them needing to improve, or go bigger. IMO, the Dish dishes have rain fade more often than the D* dishes.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Even 10m dishes experience rain fade in extreme circumstances. Heck, Dish had uplink issues for a short time due to a super-heavy storm cell right over their ground station this past winter.

DirecTV already makes larger dishes: the 1.2m Alaska/Hawaii dishes. The fact is that many customers already don't like the "large size" of the Slimline and want a smaller dish. Witness the folks who have tried to use the Triple-Sat dish with a Slimline LNB.

The chances of them making a larger dish for general use is about zero. If they were going to do so, it would have been done long ago. A small fortune was spent working out exactly the right size dish, and that's the Slimline.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes.

8. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I wish HD wasn't affected more by Rain fade. I am surprised with today's technology that their isn't a dish that would prevent that. I wonder if they could improve the KA/KU signals so that didn't happen? The signals we have are all in the 90's but I wonder if DTV could do something on their end? I guess this means DTV will never get rid of the SD and go all HD because of that?

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You could always invest in one of these:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1272.png
      1272.png
      File size:
      418 KB
      Views:
  10. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

:lol: :lol:

11. stephenC

stephenC Legend

Jul 18, 2007
    Earth
    Some HOAs limit dish size to 1m. I realize that doesn't affect everyone, just those that live in neighborhoods with active and strict HOAs.

12. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Limit does not apply if a bigger dish is needed and no limits in AK and HI

13. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

So bigger dishes prevented rain fade would that have included HD if the old bigger dishes did HD?

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    It is more than that.

The OTARD law (Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule) specifically cites 1 meter dishes. Important money was sent to Washington to get this done. The chance of a change is pretty low.

Joe

15. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    OTARD only protects dishes that are "less than one meter (39.37") in diameter"....but no limit in Alaska. :eek2:

16. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I haven't experienced any rain fade whatsoever since upgrading to SWM. SWM adds in some gain which seems to help.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This is a bit easier to peak
    [​IMG]

18. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    It isn't a HD versus SD issue.

It's that the newer transponders, carrying most of the newer HD channels, are on higher frequencies.

If D* put HD channels on the "older" transponders, and SD on the "newer" ones...then the SD channels would be more affected by rain fade.

Again...the higher frequencies are more impacted. SD/HD...MPEG2/MPEG4 makes no difference.

19. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Bottom line: no, there are no new dishes in the pipeline (other than future dishes that might be needed for BSS services) and yes it's normal for the signal to go out when it's pouring rain. in most cases when it's raining hard enough, a bigger dish probably wouldn't help. water attenuates the signal pretty badly.

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Ka-band frequencies are what are usually referred to as "microwaves." As in, around the same frequencies you'd find in a microwave oven.

A microwave oven works by using radio waves to excite the water molecules in food, by converting that radio energy into heat. The exact same thing happens to the sat signals when they have to penetrate heavy cloud cover: the energy gets converted to heat, reducing the strength of the signal that arrives at your dish. With enough moisture in the air, it wouldn't matter how big your dish was; you'd still not have enough for a good signal.