1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does DVR still work if you cancel DirecTV service?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mankinator, Jan 19, 2009.

1. mankinator

mankinator New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Can I still use the HR20 to record OTA shows if I cancel my DirecTV service? Does it still have a guide?

Scott

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No, you can't. It must be activated to record.

3. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I'm not sure you can even play back a recording if your service is not active.

4. Coumyl

Coumyl Cool Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Playback is still possible after the service is cut off.
    I had my HR20 turned off and my new HR23 activated this past weekend and the hr20 playback was still active.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Under the right circumstances, you can for a while. You'd have to disconnect your DVR from the sat signal BEFORE you had your service disconnected. Then, you have a couple of weeks before the authorization expires that you could watch recordings.

6. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    You may play back recordings. In fact I just did this. I disconnected an old DVR (TiVo) from my account about 6 months ago. My mother was having trouble recording programs on her TiVo. I moved my old box to her location. After it was set up, but before it was activated on her account, I could go into the Now Playing List and playback all of the programs that had been recorded on the box before I disconnected it from my account.

P.S. There was no guide to speak of until after activation.

7. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    I believe the functionality in regards to this is different with the TIVO based D* DVRs than it is for the D* based DVR's.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    TiVo is different than the HR2x. With the HR2x you need to (in general) maintain a satellite connection *and* maintain service. There may be ways to "trick" it for a while, but it is only for a short time.

The bottom line is that for an HR2x DVR .. No, you cannot watch recordings without service.

9. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    Thanks for the update. A friend of mine was deciding on whether or not he could still keep and view his recording on a TiVo unit after it was deactivated so he could upgrade to a HD DVR. Since it is a TiVo unit (DirecTV branded), it should be ok.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It's correct that if you disconnect the satellite connection prior to deactivation you can watch what you have left on the DVR.

However, IIRC, if you reset the receiver of if it loses/regains power you can lose the ability to watch the shows you have left.

It might be best to wait to deactivate it until you watch everything you want. :grin:

Mike

11. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Also keep in mind that with any HR2X box it's most likely a leased box that will need to be returned if you cancel service anyway. Failing to return a leased receiver will generate a big fat fee.