1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does GenieGo Require Whole-Home DVR Service?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by BigDawg, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BigDawg

BigDawg Mentor

Sep 26, 2006
    I just got my GenieGo today. I've had the Genie HR34 for about a year or so now. Prior to today I didn't have the $3 / month charge for Whole-Home DVR. Now I do.

Based on what I've read on the PDF manual and online forums, I don't see any requirement that states that the WHDVR is required.

Is there anyone out there that has an HR34 plus a GenieGo without the Whole-Home DVR service?

2. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather DBSTalk Club

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I could be wrong, but I thought a Genie required whole home, not because of a technical requirement but as a policy decision by DirecTV

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    GenieGO does not require WHDVR service. That was a certainty about a year ago.
    Plug in the GenieGO and give a try. Be sure your account is authorized for it on the web. Its n/c per month.

Please report back and let us know if its still the case.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Subscribers getting a Genie now automatically get the Whole Home DVR as part of the $25 Advanced Receiver fee. Even if you only have one receiver or don't want MRV.

But if you had the Genie before, you don't have to get or pay for MRV. I just dont know what that date between optionsl and mandatory is

But it may take several phone calls to get it turned off.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Genie is automatically supposed to trigger requiring Whole Home...even if its the only device you have. It can just be considered the price of having a Genie....if you dont want the charge, consider not getting a Genie or switching to a different provider.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. If you have the Genie without the Whole Home Fee, don't expect that to last. DirecTV will catch it at some point and it will be added on. I suspect that if you don't have the Whole Home Fee on your account and you make any change to your account that it automatically adds it on. In the OP's case, the addition of the GenieGo probably caused the system to see that the Whole Home Fee was missing.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app