1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does GenieGo work with Airplay?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Citivas, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    Sorry, I searched before posting this but didn't see a clear answer.

Does the GenieGo App (iPhone/iPad version or Mac OSX version) do Airplay streaming to an AppleTV device?

If not, does anyone know if there is any App on any of the major TV platforms or set top boxes that is compatible with remote streaming of GenieGo? The goal is to be able to see streamed recorded content on another TV at a remote location, rather than just on my iPad or laptop screen.

If not, anyone know if this is planned soon? Trying to decide if we should get a Slingbox for Christmas or if GenieGo is enough and it comes down to how easily it is to watch remote content on another physical TV.

Thanks.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
  3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    all you can use is mirroring, which is better than nothing, I guess....

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    GG lets you carry your programs in addition to streaming if you have internet service. Much better than a slingbox.

And HDMI or mirroring to a ATV works well. Better than most hotel TVs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

I tested out the Airplay mirroring from my MacBook Pro. Main problem is the resolution seemed terrible. And this was from my home network, not even remotely. I looked it up and it sounds like GenieGo only does a resolution of 720 x 480. Whereas, according to various websites (not just Sling's), the latest Slingboxes can stream at full 1080P (1920 x 1080). I had some guests over to my house a month ago using Sling to watch a local sports game from their house on the other coast and it seemed to work great at full HD resolution.

Can anyone confirm the max resolution of the GenieGo and if this is expected to change? Perhaps it's an okay resolution from a phone or tablet, but it really suffers on a large 1080p TV screen.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You've hit the nail. The number of pixels is just fine for iPad or laptop, but I can't stand it on a large screen.

GenieGo is superior for business or pleasure travel, and is the only thing where internet is lousy or doesn't exist.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And if I recall, the client $ adds up pretty quickly for sling.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    $14.99 per tablet or phone. Slingplayer for computer (Windows or Mac) is free.

It is important to note that Sling does not interfere with your ability to effectively use their products for their advertised purpose. The same can not be said for DIRECTV with respect to the GenieGo.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I don't understand that bit of wisdom.

1 person likes this.
  10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm pretty sure you know that the GenieGo has decided limitations on what it can cast and/or transfer.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Why don't you simply outline your beef/complaint/whine in simple terms that dolts such as I can understand?

12. Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    I don't know. What limitations do they place on what recorded content can be streamed?

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I know that OTA or VOD and some regional Sports or sports packages can't be streamed or transcoded. But a Dish customer may not know that.

And these are probably contract or file format related.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    PPV is also absent from the list of "eligible" content.

The reasoning doesn't make them any less of a limitation.

There's also the non-content limitations:
    • Streaming only within home network
    • The content be recorded (or recording)
    • Can only stream from a HD DVR
    • Broadband connection required (even though it can't stream over the Internet)
    • Five client license rule
    • 30 day rule
    • One GenieGo per account
    • 640x480 resolution
    • Constant bitrate encoding
    • Six hour limit per viewing session
    • Limited trick play
    • Non-streaming content must be "prepared" (in real time)
    To be sure, the GenieGo has its applications, but it probably shouldn't be compared with place-shifting devices as the overlap isn't particularly broad.

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You must update your software. Oh, no GenieGo, then?
    You are out of date.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You are correct, but probably because a TV was not a target product

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

1 person likes this.
  18. Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    It feels like it's kind of half-way between two products on the streaming feature. A major benefit of streaming to a mobile device would be to do it away from home and yet it doesn't allow streaming over cellular connections. It's certainly nice for downloading pre-planned content onto local devices but between the lack of HD streaming, the lack of streaming over cellular, the lack of Airplay support (except mirroring), the lack of live content streaming (unless you go to the trouble to go into the other DirecTV app and start recording it first) and the other restrictions, it doesn't seem like it's really a full competitor to Slingbox for streaming… Slingbox of course isn't a compeitor with GenieGo for downloading. So they are still a bit of apples-to-oranges and there is still a need for both if you want to stream live or in HD or over a mobile network.

19. gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    FYI, cellular streaming works via the Android app. Verizon's 4G LTE network works well to stream to my Razr Maxx.

20. Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    I just tried it from both an iPhone using Verizon LTE (full bars) and an iPad using AT&T LTE (full bars). Both come up with a pop-up message when you try to "watch now" that says "You must be connected to a Wi-Fi Network to start watching this video." I can't speak to Android but streaming is purposely disabled on the Apple platform. Wonder why they would uniquely enable it for Android only, or if this is just about them needing to play catch-up with the iOS apps?