1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it cost anything to downgrade?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chris2, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris2

Chris2 Mentor

Sep 5, 2005
    I have top 180 i want to downgrade to top 120 do they charge to do that?

2. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    $5.00 for regular downgrades and $10.00 when you downgrade adult ( XXX )programming.

3. JonBlack

JonBlack Legend

Feb 24, 2005
    I think if you call and nicely complain about the downgrade charge some CSR's will waive the fee. It depends how much $5 is worth to you. Everytime (which has been about 10 times) I call E* it seems I'm waiting 30-45 minutes for a CSR to pick up.

4. glennh73

glennh73 Cool Member

Sep 5, 2005
    you got to be kidding me, they charge you to down grade? So when i get the 3 months of HBO an Showtime, when they are up and i cancel them i will get charged the 5 bucks?

5. HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    No DG fee to downgrade from promos IF you do it before the promo ends.

Call in before the end of month 3 or when you get your statement for month 4.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The downgrade fee is in the contract you agree to when you sign up for Dish... so while you and I might not like it, it is there up front.

7. glennh73

glennh73 Cool Member

Sep 5, 2005

When do i get this contract? Is that when they actually install the Dish? Right now I'm not really a customer yet since they haven't came to my house to hook me up.

8. Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    yeah... the contract is signed after install... so you are in clear... just call up your CSR who signed you up or whomever and alter it to 120 before you get installed and you are all good. ^_^

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As another poster followed up... it will come with the equipment when the installer comes, and you sign it after the install is done. A good CSR will also go over it with you on the phone then, AND every time you upgrade or downgrade you will be told as well.

Don't get me wrong... I don't like the $5 downgrade fee... but I understand why they do it.

10. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
  11. jaschier

jaschier Mentor

Mar 28, 2005
    It's also on the back of every paper bill you get in the mail that describes fees. Basically if you're in a promo, a CSR should waive the downgrade fee within 30 days of the promo's ending, not just before the promo ends. Also, when I was a CSR and someone downgraded, I checked their notes to see if someone waived the fee before. If someone didn't, I would waive it one time. If someone did, I would not waive it again no matter how much complaining. If they wanted to speak to a supervisor/coach, I would make sure to find one who also would not waive the fee (some coaches/supervisors are very strick and will stick to rules for complaining customers, some will give the customer anything and hand out free months of programming if a CSR things it may turn into a supervisor call just to avoid it). Many companies have the fee, it's in the residential agreement and on every bill. I've downgraded twice since I've had dish, asked it would be waived once, then paid the downgrade fee the second time.
    On one of the weekly new training sessions for CSR's, there was a short presentation on how much the company was losing by CSR's always waiving the fees- downgrade, adult downgrade, PPV call in fee, etc. Sounds like rederick, but a one-time $5 paid maybe once a year when you downgrade instead of everybody complaining may keep bills from going up or going up less than they would. Of course, I'm not talking about appropriate times to talk to a sup to avoid fee, like when dish does something wrong and it's their mistake.

12. rasheed

rasheed Godfather

Sep 12, 2005
    It would be simpler to have ways to avoid downgrade fees such as using the web to make changes (assuming it is not where you can add/remove programming everyday).

This makes sense to me: change programming via the web (reasonably, once a month or once every six days to the same type-package), no fee. Change via phone, phone fee.

Rasheed

13. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Or charge for every downgrade, making money off those who insist on dropping a tier, and adding an incentive for subs to keep their packages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.