1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does purchase of gadget get you reported to authorities?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Big Brother spies on spy cam buyers

While browsing products listed in today's Meritline sale ad, I was looking at a motion-activated "spy" cam...
    ...when I noticed this statement at the bottom of the item's specs (bolding mine):
    What have I missed here? Is there now a law that requires sellers of home security cams to report purchases to authorities? If there is such a law, what other consumer electronic gadgets are subject to such reporting requirements? Have we gone from 9/11 back to 1984 again?

Product: MeritLine.com

2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    The governments reaction to 9/11 was the excuse the government needed, and probably was looking for, to justify what was prophesied in 1984. I don't believe there is any government in existence that wants a truly free and unmonitored citizens.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I know of no requirement to report the purchase, and IMHO it would be tough to define such a camera without including every nanny-cam. I haven't heard screams of outrage from what used to be known as the "Yuppie" class.

The Smarthome people sell various sneaky cameras (look like clocks, thermostats, etc.) giving no such indication. See here. They also sell nanny cams with no such warning.

4. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Right after 9/11 when Homeland Security was first proposed, people were so quick to give up some personal freedoms and privacy in the name of security and safety. It was only a matter of time that it would come back and bite everyone in the butt.
    Instead of "Uncle Sam wants you." it's "Uncle Sam is watching you."

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The warning begins with "Do not to use this product for any illegal purpose, otherwise you may be subject to prosecutions under applicable laws."

I think the warning is just in case you're a pervert and plan to do something illegal with the camera like put it in the girls shower room. Of course records can be subpoenaed even regarding a nanny cam if a crime has been committed and there is a reason to want to know something like how long a camera may have been in place or who bought it.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Wait a minute. Shout out from your First Amendment soapbox all you want but read the whole paragraph, not just the highlighted part.

The first sentence says if you use this product illegally, you may be prosecuted. The second sentence says if the supplier is asked by the appropriate authorities in a manner they can't refuse, they will provide information on you.

Like a because of a subpoena.

I feel very uncomfortable arguing this side of the fence. But in this instance I don't see any extra intrusion of government. I've never heard of a retailer-customer right to privacy.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I don't see it as "required reporting" just a note that they are not going to do much to protect their customers if asked who bought their product. More for someone with bad intents to worry about than someone with good intents. (It really isn't as covert as other cameras that I've seen.)

8. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    It's just the seller or manufacturer covering their butt in case somebody does something stupid and gets caught.

It's like when you see a disclaimer in a catalog for DVD burners which warns "not to be used to copy copyrighted movies." The FBI really isn't going to be peeking in your window to see if you making a copy of "The Sound of Music" for grandma. If, on the other hand, you're cranking out a thousand copies of the latest blockbuster and selling them down on the street corner for three bucks a pop, well, you're on your own.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Prepaid Visa, fake name, UPS store address for delivery. Problem solved.