1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does recording HDMI on a Hauppauge Colossus via a DirecTV HR34 no longer work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mavs-fan, Jan 26, 2014.

1. mavs-fan

mavs-fan Mentor

Aug 31, 2011
    I've been using a Hauppauge Colossus internal card to record non-premium content since 2012. However, for the past several months it's been nearly impossible to record an HDMI signal. Has DirecTV made a software change to prevent this or is there a workaround? When I try to record a program I'm seeing a very lightly scrambled signal with color dots or a variety of green lines on-screen. To my knowledge DirecTV doesn't HDCP protect most channels which allows the HDMI pass through.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    HDCP is used on premium channels. Not sure about others

3. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    It sounds to me more like a problem with your Colossus. The way HDCP works if the proper handshake does not occur you will get no image at all, not something that looks like scrambling from the analog days.

4. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    sounds like macrovision. i know that recently some shows on non-premium channels have it, and i need to use a sima "video enhancer" to archive shows onto dvd.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Sounds like a problem with either the Colossus or your HDMI cable (or cables/splitter if you are using one). Bad HDMI cables/connections are known for causing weird colored lines or sparklies.

Macrovision is only on analog connections as far as I know.

HDCP is only supposed to be used on premium channels right now with DirecTV, but I think I might remember someone on here posting that one of the receivers was incorrectly putting it on everything, maybe one of the newer Genies or Genie Mini clients? Either way your issue doesn't sound like HDCP as that should result in no picture at all.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, HDCP is enforced in the Genie minis all the time

7. mavs-fan

mavs-fan Mentor

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Go figure, I switched the HDMI cable and the issue resolved itself.

So if I upgrade to an HR44 with a Genie client will HDCP be enabled on everything for just the client or will HDCP be applied to everything on the HR44 as well?

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    On the HR44 is just on the premiums channels mostly, on the Genie client is on everything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk