1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does service need to match hardware?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sabarrett, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sabarrett

sabarrett Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Here is the thing. My inlaws are thinking of upgrading to Directv, considering the $100 credit, seems like a good time. However they don't have a HDTV yet, but will probably get one by years end. I am suggesting they get the HDDVR unit, as the hardware is free, but they not subscribe to the HD service. That way, they will be ready for the TV when it gets here, and they have the networking and on demand service.

Is this possible or does it throw the system off kilter?

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Both HD access and DVR service are required when getting a HD DVR. Also keep in mind that some techs refuse to install HD DVRs without a HDTV to hook it up to.
    If you do get a tech out be prepared to convince him.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    FOr more background, lets say they do allow your inlaws an HD piece of equipment connected to a non-HD tv, then 6 months later they get their HD tv and find that the HD output they use doesnt work? This is one of the primary reasons they dont like to hook up HD equipment to non HD tvs. In most cases you cant get the HD equipment unless you also carry the HD service with it. The HD channels do look outstanding on any decent regular old tv though if its any consolation.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You could always take your HDTV to their house for the install and then afterward, hook their SDTV back up. As was mentioned, however, they'll have to pay for HD ($10 per month) as long as they have an HD box.

PS. I thought this was going to be a "curtains matching the drapes" type of question.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    :hurah::hurah::hurah::hurah::grin::grin::lol::lol::lol::lol::eek2:

6. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    I was able to get an HD-DVR(HR23-700) with just an SDTV. YMMV, but I don't have HD access, just the DVR service.

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    in Feb 2008 I got 2 HR20 with no HD service and just dvr service.
    self installed so that may have been why.
    did not take long to upgrade dish and turn on HD service and buy HD tv's I'll tell ya,like 15 days or so total :) :)
    glad I did too.

8. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I got a HR22 with a SDTV. I figured I would go that route for when I get the HD display. Right now, the sound is blowing me away so I am happy. I can't wait for the economy to recover so I can freely spend money on that Sammy I have had my eye on for a while.

9. Brannayen

Brannayen Mentor

Sep 7, 2008
    If you're in a 72.5 locals area, you can get HD equipment without the HD access. That would just mean that everytime you change to a channel that has HD, it will say Channel Not Purchased until you hit channel up on the remote. Also, on 2 occasions so far, I have installed an HD receiver to a 50+ year old black and white TV. We use HD's instead of standards, though.

10. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    One consolation, the longer you wait, the more TV you get for the money!