1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does the hopper send internet via coax to joeys

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by StephenJC, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1 of 13
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Similar to how DirecTvs Cinema Connection Kit sends internet to the HD boxes. If so is there a way to tap into that signal for other devices to use? In my office I currently have the DECA of my DirecTv H21 going into an Ethernet switch. I am thinking of switching from DirecTv to Dish.

2. Feb 5, 2013 #2 of 13
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes it does.

The original Hopper is wired ethernet only, the new Hopper w/Sling add wireless networking to the mix.

3. Feb 5, 2013 #3 of 13
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    A wireless adapter is available for the original Hopper. I had one installed using it because my router is not near the Hopper.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #4 of 13
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    But what do I use to get the internet from the line that is going to a Joey?

5. Feb 5, 2013 #5 of 13
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Hook ethernet or wireless to the Hopper, enable bridging on the Hopper so that anything hooked to the Dish coax will see the ethernet.

But all of that said, the Joey is basically a dumb terminal that uses the Hopper. No tuners in the Joey, no disk drive.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #6 of 13
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Ok. But with the directv setup I have the DECA that takes the internet off the coax and puts it onto an Ethernet jack. How would I do that with the Dish/ Joey setup? Does the Ethernet jack on the Joey allow you to plug other devices into it to get connection, pr us it there for the joey to get a connection, not give one?

7. Feb 5, 2013 #7 of 13
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    The Joey internet connection is supplied by the MOCA coax connection. It will also work using the wireless adapter , although this is not supported. Bridging is only needed so two Hoppers can see one another. It has no effect on a Joey.

8. Feb 5, 2013 #8 of 13
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    So provided that I give the hopper (in my living room) an internet connection, what can I use in my office to get an internet connection from the coax that is running into my office ( that the joey in my office will use too ) can it be done? Wi-Fi is not great in my office si I am looking for a way to get a wired connection down there

9. Feb 5, 2013 #9 of 13
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    You can use a HIC in reverse to get an Internet connection from the Joey coax.

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    The Joey will be able to connect to the internet using the coax in your office. I assume that the coax in your office is also connected to the Hopper location. The attached file shows the various methods of getting the internet connection.

11. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what the OP is asking. If I am not mistaken, the question is whether he can hook some OTHER device (e.g. a computer) to a Joey and get it onto the Internet that way. I.e., can the Joey act as a bridge or router.

Is that correct? I suspect the answer is no.

12. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Yes. That is what I am asking.

13. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Answered.