1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does the R10 Require a Landline Phone?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Robert Simandl, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    I'm about to dump my landline phone and just use my cell for any phone needs.

I've upgraded all my DirecTV boxes to models that use Ethernet connections, except for one R10 in the basement.

If I cancel my landline phone service, will my R10 continue working or will I need to get a newer box to replace it?

Thanks!

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    My HR10 does. If you reset the receiver, it will have to call in to get the DVR service activated. Not sure about the R10 though...

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    R10 is still Tivo based so it makes a call to initiate certain processes...like updates, it will probably complain that it hasnt successfully made a call in x days, but it should still work.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Mine said it hadn't been connected in over 1500 days and worked fine. I gave it a reset from the menu and it wouldn't let my open my list unless it called in. As long as you don't reset it, you should be ok.

5. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    Thanks to all for the replies!

6. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    No, you just make sure you DON'T let those messages pile up sky high & clear them out regularly, then you won't have to do this. ;)

RS, I assume you know this, but just make sure it's on 6.4 software & you won't have any problems, except the daily nag message - just keep those messages cleared out & you'll be fine