1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Your iPhone Drop Calls?? There's an App for That!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by bobukcat, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1 of 23
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
  2. Dec 8, 2009 #2 of 23
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    How many iPhone users are willing to give up their location? I like the idea myself, but I suspect people are more apt (not app) to be private. ;)

3. Dec 8, 2009 #3 of 23
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Oh trust me, right now there is a two-block section of road near my house that, although shows full bars, can not hold or make a call. For that to be fixed I'd be more than happy to give up my location.....

4. Dec 8, 2009 #4 of 23
    Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    I read some reviews. Two points: 1) When you need to use this app you won't have service to submit the report. 2) AT&T will send a sms to confirm they received your report. Will this count against the number of messages included on your monthly service plan?

Both are good points!

5. Dec 8, 2009 #5 of 23
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Says right in the app that the SMS is free. Also, in the App Store there's a picture of the app that shows the same.

Re: not being able to submit when the problem happens: the app (again, take a look at the picture in the App Store) has an option to use current location or to select the location on a map.

6. Dec 8, 2009 #6 of 23
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    People thinking that location is private when they carry a cell phone are people who only like saying that they do care. If people truly wanted to be private they wouldn't carry devices that can be easily placed.

7. Dec 8, 2009 #7 of 23
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    You can always turn off the GPS service in your phone. Of course the GPS does not have to be on for your general position to be determined..usually accurate to 300M.

8. Dec 8, 2009 #8 of 23
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    GPS is always enabled the turning on and off is just allow programs to make contacts. Emergency services can turn a GPS unit on remote through the phone. Cell towers also will triangulate location to get the best tower option.

9. Dec 8, 2009 #9 of 23
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
  10. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    This is a network issue not a phone issue! If you put a BB on AT&T Network you will have the same problems.

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Correct and even some phones that people think don't have built in GPS chips actually do have it! Once you have ANY cell phone on your person you can be tracked, at worst to within a few hundred yards, still good enough to debunk a story you might have that you where at home watching TV when something happened across town.

12. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I was just kidding. :p

13. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    This is far from true. My wife has an ATT BLackberry and she does not have near the problems I have. Also, nationwide, the reports do not have near the issues with BB that iPhones do. Personally, I think there is something wonky with the iPhone radio system that causes it not to play well with ATT's crappy network that other phones, both smart and dumb, are not as negatively affected.

14. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I disagree. It was no secret that AT&T specifically had iPhone dropped call issues. They may not have the most sound network out there, but it was much worse for iPhone users at some points in time. They have definitely made strides to fine tune their network though. There for a while, I was averaging 3-4 dropped calls per day. Right now, I can't even remember the last dropped call I had.

15. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Which brings me back to my original observation. I have a BB on AT&T, and when my brother couldn't get service on his iphone he would have to use my BlackBerry. Just fact.

16. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    As a recent Iphone user I thought this was hilarious. I have never seen so many apps for one phone. Not even for my WM phone that I love dearly had this many options.

Also, network issues are not always limited to the equipment. Many if not most network issues are area specific. Either not enough towers or too many users on a tower (thats when you get fast busies on New Years). Sometimes changing out a phone will do it but not always. I have had T-Mobile many years and just this last week got an Iphone and my service has increased dramatically. But its not the Iphone, the AT&T network in my area happens to be better than the T-Mobile network. I had AT&T and left them for T-Mobile because of the same issue. At my previous home AT&T was useless in my house and at work. (havent had a home phone in 12 years.)

All carriers have their good areas and bad areas. As they expand and add more services you will see call quality go up and down. Buts its funny to see all these crazy apps come out for one phone. They should make an app that allows for an attachable keyboard. The touch screen thing takes some getting used to. :)

17. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Done:http://www.krunker.com/2009/09/18/add-a-real-keyboard-to-the-iphone/

18. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    At first I thought you were joking. Thanks for that link!

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ....the sequel to this thread will be "iPhone battery running out yet again? There's No App for that :D"

Battery life is the only problem my daughter has with her 3GS....dropped calls...almost never.

...and believe me...she tests making calls..............alot.....

20. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006