1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't Charlie understand that MLB is our nation's pastime?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by purtman, Mar 31, 2011.

1. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    MLB's Opening Day is upon. The MLB Extra Innings package is providing free viewing for the first week. Of course, we can't get that on DISH. There's also the MLB Network that so many others enjoy. Not on DISH. Charlie says that the reason there's no MLB Extra Innings and Network is because of the cost to the viewers. We pay extra for the Extra Innings. Why not let us decide? I'm seriously considering dropping DISH and going to cable at the end of the NHL season. I'd go to Direct, but there are five 50-foot trees blocking the angle to the Direct sats.

2. rtd2

rtd2 Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Purtman,
    I dont think its the Per subscriber fee as you pointed out the customers would pay that. I think its the Upfront Buyin that dish is balking on! they dont want to by part owners of MLB network :lol:

3. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    Personally, I could care less about baseball and it really isn’t the National pastime any longer. If I care about sports then I suppose I would have given Direct more of a consideration. However, I was more interested in dual tuner receivers that I could have installed to work 2 television sets at the same time for one price, which Direct did not offer at the time.

I would never return to cable in my area, which is Charter, mainly because they suck!

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    MLB.TV is quite a viable option. The PQ on a ROKU or PS3 is pretty decent, and, if you have an iPhone, you'll get the games there as well. I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor on making a switch.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm seriously considering dropping DISH ....

Seeyalaterbye.

6. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    :wave: :wave: :wave:

7. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Im thinking the same thing! $119 for computer and $15 for the phone app,,,,,still cheaper than direct...

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Charlie decided long ago that sports were NOT going to be a priority for Dish Network, due to their high costs and due to the fact that DirecTV's focus is sports, and Dish needed to be different.

Dish has chosen to use the bandwidth they have for additional national "cable" channels instead of sports feeds, which is why Dish has 30+ HD channels that DirecTV doesn't have, but doesn't have the sports feeds that DirecTV has.

What you may not understand is that, for the premium sports packages, the leagues negotiate a set, multi-year price for carrying the package, along with other requirements, and then it's up to the multichannel provider (Dish) to find enough subscribers willing to pay. So, getting one of those packages at a high price, locked in for several years, means you MUST get X-number of subscribers to pay Y-number of dollars for the package, or you're losing money, a LOT of money.

Charlie doesn't think there are enough folks on Dish who are willing to pay to make it profitable, since a large percentage of the people who ARE willing to pay are already with DirecTV. And he's probably right - there are only so many people willing to pay $300-400+ per season for these packages, and with the economy, even DirecTV has plenty of people who don't want to pay.

Plus, the contracts are already in place through 2014 for MLB, so nothing could happen until then at the earliest. But it isn't expected for anything to change even then, for the same reasons.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Other than Sunday Ticket, there's no sports package that costs near that much. NBA, NHL and MLB are all around $200; and 2 of them are available on Dish, so there's people willing to pay.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish's cost for NBA and NHL are MUCH lower than what MLB or NFL would cost them, though. A big reason Dish didn't get MLB was that the deal not only required paying for the programming, but also investing in the MLB Network channel. Dish had no interest in investing in that, but that was the deal being offered.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    And if they got the contract and didn't get enough subscribers, the costs would be dumped into the mainstream packages and we'd all be paying more.

I have no interest at all in subsidizing multi-million dollar ball players.

12. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    You are correct that Charlie decided LONG AGO that a lack of sports would make Dish different than Directv. But guess what, Dish carries almost every sport available, as does Directv. I don't want the expensive NFL package offered only on Directv but I do enjoy the NFL Network offered on Dish and Directv. MLB Network shows many games that do not require buying a special package. Does anybody really think the new Dish entry "OWN" will generate as much viewership as the MLB Network would? And the MLB Network has greatly lowered its requirements to be carried by Dish. It should be a no brainer.

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Does anybody really think the new Dish entry "OWN" will generate as much viewership as the MLB Network would?

That's not a new 'Dish entry'. That's a former channel (Discovery Health) that was taken over by new management and is carried under the existing contract for now. With the failing ratings, it may get dropped [hopefully].

14. pfred

pfred Mentor

Feb 8, 2009
    I say great!!
    In addition, make ESPN a premium channel.
    I never watch it, and it costs more to Dish than any basic cable channel.

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    If Dish got MLB Extra Innings we would have to pay extra for a few thousand people. Just watch ESPN...

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    AMEN!!!!!!!!

17. DavidMi

DavidMi Legend

Aug 24, 2009
    So what it looks like Directv is dropping the Yes Network.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    MLB still operates as if it is the nation's pastime... but in reality it is probably #4 in pro sports... and possibly #5 or lower in participation.

Last I checked.. NFL was #1, then you have the NBA... then Nascar and the NHL.

I don't know where MLB fits in there... but I know it is below the NFL and NBA in terms of popularity.

Then for kids participation... I think it falls below soccer. Yes, soccer. We don't watch it on TV for pros... but lots of kids in the US play soccer... and I see way more of that going on than little league baseball when I drive around town.

IF MLB offered their MLB channel to Dish at the same kind of rates as NFL Network, NBA, and NHL... then I'm sure Dish would carry that channel.

Dish lots Extra Innings for not carrying MLB... but since that is a subscriber package, I'm sure Dish would offer it IF MLB would allow them to do so for paying customers.

The ball, literally, is in their stadium (court)...

19. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Always love when people want to drop channels other people want/watch or make them premium channels but if someone tried to do the same to their favorite channels. well let ******* begin. (and I do understand that people who aren't into sports don't place any value on sports channels)

There are a large number of channels I don't watch, wouldn't watch but I know other people do. That's the way it works. We all pay for someone else's must see TV.

Dish should at least add the MLB channel. (if it is a bandwidth issue cut the number of religious channels in half and get rid of some of the other filler channels)

I suspect Dish would have more than a few thousand Extra Innings subscribers if they offered the package.

I would be happy if Dish just took care of what they do offer.

As of now I can't watch the HD channel for my RSN. It says the channel not available in my area. The SD channel works fine. I'll wait to see if the game comes on live at 2:00 P.M.

I am also in Detroit's market and once again Dish forces me to subscribe to the Sports package if I want to get the Detroit RSN. Since I don't and won't, the first game of the year Detroit vs New York is blacked out on ESPN. I thought we were supposed to get our local RSN's. Evidently not.

20. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    I think the numbers for Baseball are better than the NHL and in some markets better than the NBA. Nascar's numbers are tanking. But, Stewart is right, the NFL rules the roost. The NFL is the runaway favorite. Let's see if they can screw it up with their labor dispute. :)