1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DogTV coming this summer...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by DCSholtis, Apr 10, 2013.

1. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
  2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    If it is not in HD my dog will not watch it.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    +1 :lol:

4. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Now I know TV is going to the dogs.

5. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Woof Woof:)

6. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    We have a new young dog - and a new bigger (of course) TV. She is transfixed whenever a dog shows up on the screen.

We've taken to instant "jogging" away whenever a commercial pops up - because we're afraid she's going to challenge that dog.

7. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Really?

I am as big of a dog person as anyone (I have 6...down from 7) and I think this is ridiculous.

The dogs I own that are inclined to watch TV already do. My Chihuahua 'Buddy' very actively watches. He perks up and notices if I pause, rewind or FF. He also continues to be mystified by the screen saver. The others not so much.

I even leave the Family Room TV on when I go to work just to make the room seem a little more lived in. It keeps them happier and they are less destructive. They seem to act up more when left in dead silence. Primarily chewing and peeing. The 58" Panny with 5.1 Dolby Digital helps.

They are confined to the Family Room but it is about 15x30 with a sectional, a chaise, a regular sofa and a doggie door out to the fenced in back yard with a pool. Not bad confinement. They are definitely spoiled.

But even I don't buy the idea that they are that interested in the actual program content itself. I think this is silly.

I think the idea that it costs $5.99 per subscriber to produce this programming is a little disingenuous too. I bet you could get Matt Galant to say "who's a good doggie?" for 20 minutes and put it on a repeating loop for little more than minimum wage.

8. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    +1

9. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    So are the programs only going to be in black/white and shades of gray lol? in hd of course haha

10. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
  11. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    No HD but they will be in shades that dogs can see with things shot from a low (dog's eye) point of view. The Dogtv people think they can make money from it and that's all that matters. An SD channel won't cost us any bandwidth to speak of.

12. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I wish them Luck- However I get enough Dog and Cat video's off of U tube.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had an argument with a geneticist about this. I choose (I can offer no proof, just an opinion) to believe that dogs can see in color. She chose to sit on the rods and cones theory.

A few months, perhaps a year, ago, I read an article (might have been in National Geographic magazine) that stated that herbivores see in color, which was not known until recently. I called her up and she had read the same article. Refused to believe it. Recently read that bats can distinguish colors. Why not dogs? I've also known "racist" dogs. How do they discriminate without seeing colors (I'm speaking about black folks and white folks, I've known dogs that go both ways)?

Rich

14. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    When I saw this thread title I was thinking that this was going to be a Dog the Bounty hunter TV channel was surprised when I actually opened the thread. :)

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've never bought into the theory that animals see in black and white. If that were the case why would nature be so abundant with color and certain species have the ability of camouflage?

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Of our 2 cats, one (the fat one) totally ignores the TV. The other one, however, likes shows with quite a bit of motion. He'll ignore the O'Reilly Factor (sorry Bill) but really perk up for a race.

Both cats love watching birds in the front yard through the living room windows. Apparently TV registers as 'different' to the one, but not the other.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not to mention the very poisonous plants, snakes, spiders, frogs, etc. that use bright colors to warn off predators. Try using that logic with a geneticist. Nothing worse than arguing with someone with a degree that thinks someone without a degree must be stupid.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Bet that cat loves tennis games. I had one that kept going in back of the TV to see where the balls went. If you can find an old Pong game, put that on. Cats love Pong.

Rich

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That's why my father taught me never to confuse academic achievement with intelligence. ;)

20. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    My bill is to high now I am not going to add 6 bucks just for the dogs.