1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by elvisizer, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvisizer

elvisizer Mentor

Oct 19, 2006
    hey everyone, i've been looking at the FAQ and doing searches on this, but haven't found much. I just upgraded my receiver, and i'd like to use HDMI for sound and video. before the new receiver, I was using HDMI for video (going straight into the TV) and optical for sound (going into the old receiver). now i've got HDMI going into the receiver for both. And that's working just fine except I can't get the HR20 to output anything other than stereo, no DD 5.1. I've tried switching dolby off and on in the hr20 GUI, power cycling both components . . .i'm successfully getting multichannel sound over HDMI from other components like HDDVD and blu ray, so i'm sure the receiver isn't downmixing . . . . .
    Any ideas?

thanks!

2. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    The show has to be in DD for the out put to DD.

There are a lot of channels and shows that are 5.1 just finding the channel and show is the trick... (i think)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.