1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital Ex on Cinemax

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by GregLee, Feb 1, 2009.

1. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I got a phone solicitation from D* a couple of days ago for HBO+Cinemax, $6/mo for 3 months, and I took them up, so right now I'm watching The Art of War on Cinemax HD West, and it has DD Ex sound. It sounds great. I haven't gotten a lot of use from my back surrounds up to now -- i.e., the 6th and 7th channels of 7.1 sound. Do Cinemax and other premium channels have 7.1 sound regularly these days?

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I noticed when I had showtime that there is a fair amount of content that had surround sound, not a ton, but quite a bit more than the normal channels.

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    EX is not true 6 / 7 channel mode.

4. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    Sure it is. It's just not discrete.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Technically, EX is a 6.1 mode: LF, C, RF, left, right, rear and sub.

There is also a EX 7.1, but it just pumps out the single rear channel into two speakers.

6. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    My receiver, Pioneer 1017, as I have it set, always sends some sort of signal to all 8 speakers, but mostly, in my judgment, the back surrounds don't really contribute to the surround effect, ordinarily. With the Cinemax channels that my receiver now says send DD Ex sound, however, I do hear an extra surround effect from the back surround speakers. It sounds good.

Since my earlier posting, I've noticed that HBO and several of the Discovery channels also have DD Ex sound (according to my receiver). But so far, I haven't managed to actually hear any back surround effect on channels other than Cinemax.

7. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I haven't noticed the DD EX label when putting on any of the HBO shows/movies. I only have 5.1 speaker setup, but my receiver does show EX when something is in EX. Cool if this is true, and when it gets more prevelent, I might have to spring for the extra speakers.

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yup.

I have EX 6.1, EX 7.1, and THX 7.1 support in my Home Theater and certfiied THX speakers.