1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dolby Digital Now?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by naptime, Nov 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. naptime

naptime Cool Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Was just watching the Celtics on TNT and noticed my AVR receiver said the sound was Dolby Digital, so I checked a few other channels and noticed Hallmark and MSNBC were also Dolby Digital. Isn't this new?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Nothing new.

All of the HD channels have been Dolby Digital since the very first one aired. Some are 2.0, others are 5.1, and I've also seen a few random things like 4.0 and 5.1 EX before.

Some of the premium movie channels (like HBO) even have Dolby Digital on their SD channels as well.

3. naptime

naptime Cool Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I wasn't clear, but I was referring to 5.1 specifically. I know the 2 channel's been around. Unless I've had some settings wrong, I haven't seen 5.1 except on the premium channels some while ago, and then not recently at all until tonight. Remember, this is Alaskan programming I am referring to. I should have made that point in the opening post. I'm not sure if Dish has been re-broadcasting their HD on the Alaskan spots any differently from Conus or not. I guess that should have been my question.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I know Alaska doesn't get all the HD feeds that the rest of the country gets... but for the channels they do get, they should be getting the exact same feeds.

As for 5.1... I can't recall any channel that has suddenly become 5.1 that wasn't years ago.

There are a few channels that seem to be stuck on 2.0 all the time... but TNT, for example, is one that has been 5.1 for as long as I can remember.