1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don’t hurt me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Neo Fender, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Neo Fender

Neo Fender New Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I get it. D* receivers & DVRs are leased.

Question: how far back does this apply? Wasn’t their some sort of 1 March 2006 cutoff date?

I still have the original receivers (SD, no DVR) that I “purchased” from Circuit City around 1999 – 2000. Don’t recall the model numbers. One allows you to see a thumbnail of the program while viewing the guide, the other one does not.

Four years ago, I upgraded to a DVR. D* did not ask for, nor did I return a receiver. I did not expand from two sets to three. I disconnected a receiver, installed a DVR and never thought twice about it.

I don’t think my original purchase required a service contract. I could be mistaken though.

Do I own the two original receivers? Do I own the 10-year-old antenna? I know I don’t own the DVR.

Anyway, I’m tired of paying $78/month for SD TV (no movie/premium channels) on superseded equipment in two rooms, while newbies get a much better deal, so D* is about to get the boot. Just trying to figure out what I’ll have to ship back.

Thanks.

2. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Most likely, the newer DVRs are leased (HR2* or R22). The older receivers are not.

So you probably have to return the DVR but not the older receivers. You probably own the older receivers.

Give retention a chance to make it up to you before you order the new service, if you can. Maybe they'll cut you a deal to keep you.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Those really old receivers you own for sure. Any actual equipment (dish, switches and wiring) you also own. For any receivers you have active now, look at your bill. If you have a "lease fee" then it is leased. If you have an "additional receiver fee" then it's owned.

Do note that those old receivers from 10 yrs ago probably can't be activated anymore anyway so they are junk. Receivers have to have an RID now to be activated.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    How are the $5 fees for the extra receiver(s) listed on your bill? Does it say "Leased Receiver" or "Additional Receiver"?

You most certainly own the original receivers, and you likely lease the replacements. You also own the dish, multiswittch, cabling, etc.

EDIT: Apparently I type too slowly. :)

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The original SD receivers are yours to keep. Directv does not want the outside dish returned. Since you are no longer under a commitment with the newer DVR, you should be able to negotiate some kind of deal. You might get some free/discounted equipment, but if you want HD (and MRV), your monthly cost will increase.

:)

6. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Doesn't the law specify that anything that is physically attached to your property becomes yours?

7. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I think you are referring to the fact that in most states, if something is physically attached, it is considered part of the house when it is sold, unless specifically advertised otherwise. Thus, if the dish is attached to the house, it would have to be sold with the house. The dishes have always been owned, never leased, so there's never been a problem with that area.

8. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    Laws vary from state to state, but at least in my state it really refers to a "permanent modification" that a tenant makes to a landlord's property. An example would be a tenant who opens up a wall and constructs a built in entertainment center. When he moves out he can't just rip it out and take it with him.

The key word is "permanent". If, instead of building the entertainment center all the tenant did was mount a flat screen TV on the wall with a bracket and a few screws, that TV would not automatically become the property of the landlord simply because it had been attached to the wall. The tenant could, of course, be liable for damages to the wall caused by mounting the bracket, but that would, be the extent of it.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The boot? Did you see what kind of deal you could work out? If you have only done one upgrade in many years, you can probably get a very nice deal.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    It really doesn't matter what the law states, you own the dish with DirecTV, period. :D