1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont eat the cookie dough

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cmtar, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529531,00.html?test=latestnews

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This isn't the first time this has happened. I received a letter yesterday from Costco about returning some cookie dough that I bought back in March.

Of course it is gone and I didn't bake any of it.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    No wonder you act the way you do:lol::p

I too, have had some of that recalled Nestle cookie dough, baked and raw. (it was yummy too!)

4. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    LOL :)

As Harsh indicated though, I seem to remember hearing this happen not too long ago as well. Eh.... A little E. Coli is good for you. :)

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Isn't it from the eggs? They always say don't eat raw cookie dough because of the eggs. But who can resist?

When I went to my officer's equivalent of basic training, I made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookie dough the day before. I refrigerated it over night and then put it in plastic baggies and wrapped those in tin foil and filled my ammo pouches and whatever other nooks and crannies I could find and I ate that for the first 2 days!

6. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Wow. Surprised that made it through.

7. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I am quite sure they were not nearly as rough on us ROTC cadets as they were on the privates going through basic. We were not searched at the beginning and we could report in with our own personal vehicles, etc. They did do barracks checks, but not searches.

8. Jul 1, 2009 #8 of 15
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    It is usually the eggs, but that is also usually Salmonella. E. coli O157:H7 is not normally ever found in any of the ingredients of cookie dough. It comes from the intestines of cows. Either they are using rinse water that was somehow contaminated by manure (similar to the spinach outbreak a few years ago), or a disgruntled employee deliberately dumped a load of cow poop in a batch of dough (that's where my money is).

I'm also guessing that Nestle probably uses pasteurized eggs.

9. Jul 1, 2009 #9 of 15
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have been eating raw eggs in homemade ice cream for over 40 years and never had an issue.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The nice folks at the Egg Safety Center web site give you information on the egg issue. The Egg Safety Center is located in Washington DC, home to a lot of egg production, apparently (yeah, I know it's a representative for the egg industry). Even they say:
    You eat raw eggs at your own risk, albeit not a very high risk. In the past the risk has been higher in eggs from chickens raised east of the Mississippi River. But the risk is still minimal. More people get Salmonella from improperly handled raw vegetables.

11. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Thanks for sharing that. It was kind of a "duh" after I read that. I knew it was salmonella, but didn't even think about it in context. That makes it more scary that it is e-coli because now we don't know the source. One of my kids got e-coli after eating at a state fair. He ended up in the ER and was admitted for 24 hours. Pretty scary experience.

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Also many times the microbes are on the outside of the egg, so make sure to wash the outside of the egg before cracking it if you know you are gonna eat some of it raw.

Saw that tip awhile back, easy enough to do when in the kitchen cooking.

13. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Received at least a dozen phone calls last week from Kroger's about the recall. Additionally, the screen at the register flashes and instructs me to read my receipt for an important message. The receipt lists every toll house cookie product we have purchased from Kroger in 2009.

Not only do I not have any cookie dough to return (very little ever makes it to the oven) but at the time I received the first phone call, I was enjoying a piece of Toll House Ultimate Turtle Supreme cookie dough.

14. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    The risk is much higher when you are talking about an industrial preparation vs. one made at home. It might be one egg in 20,000, but how many eggs do they use in a single batch in that factory? How many batches do they mix before the equipment is cleaned? How well do they clean it? One infected egg could potentially contaminate an entire day's production of possibly hundreds if not thousands of pounds of dough.

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the AP via Yahoo:
    Or maybe it wasn't the dough....:rolleyes: