1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Don't need a CCK

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by TedBarrett, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TedBarrett

TedBarrett Godfather

Oct 10, 2007
    Decided to clean up my rat's nest of an Entertainment center. The Ethernet was major contributor. Switch going to TV, CCK, AVR, BD. the Apple TV was already WiFi. Found and installed the WiFi dongle that came with the the LG TV. I'll buy a dongle for the AVR. Don't care if the 4 year old Blu-ray has net. Removed 3 cables and a wall wart for the net switch. What does the CCK do? All I have is one HR-34 and 1 H-25 in the bedroom.

Bypassed the CCK, plugged the coax and cat5 from the router directly into the HR-34. Fired up both receiver. It all works. I can play recordings from the HR-34 on the H-25. The iPad app sees both receivers. Removed a splitter, 2 coax, a CCK and another wall wart from the rat's nest.

I got confused by all the threads over whether or not an HR-34 needs a CCK. I figured with my very simple setup I'd just try it.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The HR34 and HR44 work without the CCK as you have already discovered.
    None of the other receivers will do this.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The HR34 and HR44 work without the CCK as you have already discovered.
    None of the other receivers will do this.

Clarification... The other receivers cannot do MRV and have Internet access at the same time via a direct Ethernet connection.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    More clarification

as long as a mixture of DECA and Ethernet is being used. :)

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    More clarification

as long as a mixture of DECA and Ethernet is being used. :)

Yes.

- Merg

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    To the TS, and this is my opinion. you disassembled a perfectly working wired system for a more inferior wireless system. On my books, anything that streams video "must" be hard wired

7. Robster138

Robster138 New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    HR44's are the only ones with a wireless CCK built in. HR34's would require CCK to connect to the internet unless you have a direct ethernet connection to the HR34.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    HR44's are the only ones with a wireless CCK built in. HR34's would require CCK to connect to the internet unless you have a direct ethernet connection to the HR34.
    So in essence the post you quoted is correct because the HR34 does not need a CCK unlike an HR2x HDDVR in a WHDVR system

9. Robster138

Robster138 New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    With your SWiM install(assuming you do not have an HR44 that has the built in CCKW) you would need at least one CCK to connect the IRD in question and mirror that connection to the other compatible IRDs.
    Using a direct ethernet connection to the back of the IRD disables WHDVR in a non-advanced whole home set up. If you could tell me your equipment I can tell you your limitations and what you can do. ☺

10. Robster138

Robster138 New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    WHDVR will work with or without an active internet connection if that is your question. A CCK would not be required. All receivers needing a DECA would need that for the service to work. But no, CCK/Internet is not a requirement. Ask me for clarification if you need it. I'm tech support for our Protection Plan. I believe I misunderstood your initial question. Sorry 'bout that.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    With your SWiM install(assuming you do not have an HR44 that has the built in CCKW) you would need at least one CCK to connect the IRD in question and mirror that connection to the other compatible IRDs.
    Using a direct ethernet connection to the back of the IRD disables WHDVR in a non-advanced whole home set up. If you could tell me your equipment I can tell you your limitations and what you can do. ☺

The OP has a HR34, so they can plug an Ethernet cable directly into the back of it and would not need a CCK. The HR34 can bridge its internal DECA to the Ethernet port.

- Merg

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I'm tech support for our Protection Plan.
    That says it all....

13. ttown

ttown New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    This has been very informative. I finally get my Genie and GenieGo tomorrow. Hoping for HR44. Know they have installed some in my area already. Currently have 2 HR 24s with DECABB 1 MRO for Whole Home with Coax with SWIM and splitter. I have Ethernet from DECA to router for my main unit. My other HR24 has coax from wall directly to unit with no DECA. I am changing one unit to HR44 and keeping other HR24. Fortunately my Genie will be located right next to my router so I can plug Ethernet right in to HR44. Of course, with WHDVR I want features such as VOD to work on both units, curious what tech is going to do tomorrow with my install. I certainly prefer hard wiring not wireless setup to my Genie even if it is a HR44.
    When I called to schedule upgrade and confirm order - first person from protection plan said I have exactly what I need for upgrade and no new equipment needed when I add Genie and GenieGo. Second rep from protection plan said for my Whole Home to work and be able to access VOD and apps on second tv, I will need to upgrade to CCK with Genie. I think reps are very good at what they do but did give me two different answers. I will give update after tomorrow.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This has been very informative. I finally get my Genie and GenieGo tomorrow. Hoping for HR44. Know they have installed some in my area already. Currently have 2 HR 24s with DECABB 1 MRO for Whole Home with Coax with SWIM and splitter. I have Ethernet from DECA to router for my main unit. My other HR24 has coax from wall directly to unit with no DECA. I am changing one unit to HR44 and keeping other HR22. Fortunately my Genie will be located right next to my router so I can plug Ethernet right in to HR44. Of course, with WHDVR I want features such as VOD to work on both units, curious what tech is going to do tomorrow with my install. I certainly prefer hard wiring not wireless setup to my Genie even if it is a HR44.
    When I called to schedule upgrade and confirm order - first person from protection plan said I have exactly what I need for upgrade and no new equipment needed when I add Genie and GenieGo. Second rep from protection plan said for my Whole Home to work and be able to access VOD and apps on second tv, I will need to upgrade to CCK with Genie. I think reps are very good at what they do but did give me two different answers. I will give update after tomorrow.

Do you have HR24's or HR22's? If you have both, I would keep the HR24 and replace the HR22.

As for the tech setting things up, they may not want to let you just plug Ethernet into the HR44 and might give you a bunch of reasons why it won't work. Just go along with it. After they leave, disconnect any extra equipment they plugged in (Broadband DECA) and plug the Ethernet cable directly into the HR44. Basically, the only items in your DirecTV setup should be the HR44, HR24, a Power Inserter, a splitter, and an Ethernet cable going to the HR44.

- Merg

15. ttown

ttown New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks Merg. Your comments are appreciated. I am so sorry - I had a typo in last post. I have since corrected. Yes, I am going to keep the HR24 as my secondary unit and upgrade to Genie for primary. Obvious question, but I believe I would only have one coax then going from wall to Genie? The other coax that was going to DECA I would disconnect and put terminator on it. For my HR24 I would still only have coax for connection and have WHDVR. Would I be able to use VOD and apps on my HR24 tv?

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks Merg. Your comments are appreciated. I am so sorry - I had a typo in last post. I have since corrected. Yes, I am going to keep the HR24 as my secondary unit and upgrade to Genie for primary. Obvious question, but I believe I would only have one coax then going from wall to Genie? The other coax that was going to DECA I would disconnect and put terminator on it. For my HR24 I would still only have coax for connection and have WHDVR. Would I be able to use VOD and apps on my HR24 tv?
    If the tech uses a 2 way splitter to connect the DEA BB, just remove the splitter and connect the coax directly to the Genie along with the ethernet cable. and yes, as long as the Genie is connected to the internet you will be able to do VOD on the HR24 via the coax (SWM) network

17. ttown

ttown New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Got HR44 installed yesterday. I do have two-way splitter and power inserter. So do I simply use coax from wall straight to HR44 and do not use two-way splitter, power inserter and DECA? Makes sense to have ethernet from wall directly to HR44. Just figuring out coax and then will redo set up.

18. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Quick question: If you had an HR44 connected to network via WiFi, would you then be able to use the ethernet port to bridge internet to another device, such as a BluRay player?

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Some have reported doing that, but it's not at all supported, and I'm sure the Techs at DIRECTV® as well as a few here would say don't do it! So, try it at your risk and good luck!

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Some have reported doing that, but it's not at all supported, and I'm sure the Techs at DIRECTV® as well as a few here would say don't do it! So, try it at your risk and good luck!
    Yup, I concur, dont do it

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk