1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't the morons** firing machine guns in the air kill more people?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by TBlazer07, Oct 21, 2011.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm constantly seeing the "celebrations" in the Middle East on TV watching those morons** firing their AK-47's, M16's A2G's and other weapons into the air indiscriminately and wondering how many innocent people get killed when the laws of gravity take effect. It's never discussed on TV other than to say it is "signs of joy."

An old Mythbusters (4/2006) seems to say the falling bullets can (and do) kill. Heck, even if they don't KILL they sure could leave a nice welt! http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50

**Disclaimer for the P.C.: The term "morons" is used referring to the act of firing guns in the air, not judging their mental condition, religious beliefs or political preferences. :rolleyes::grin:

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Typical MB load of bull. Falling round do kill, not might. But you have to be under them and the chances of a falling round just happening to hit someone are fairly slim.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/4084756/detail.html

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/falling-bullet-kills-4-year-old-boy-in-dekalb/nFDwr/

4. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    yikes. They must be dropping like flies in Libya

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    While anything falling from the sky, can hurt/kill.... The items will reach terminal velocity, which is no were as fast as the bullet when it comes out of the gun.

Mythbusters has attenpted to prove/disprove this many times, but the problem is, the bullet on it's way down is impacted by friction and wind, that they simply can't put up a big enough target to measure impact when it hits.

Doesn't change the fact that is a stupid thing to do, and it can hurt and maybe even kill someone if it hits them in the wrong spot.

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Important Safety Tip: Don't fire automatic or semi automatic weapons into the air when you are standing in the middle of a crowd of people likely to do the same thing.

SeconD important Safety tip: Make it a policy not to stand in such crowdsd at all.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I suspect any bullet fired straight up will find it's way somewhere other than straight down. Wind, resistance, etc. should do pretty much anything other than send a bullet right back down on your head.

Still, it's not a good thing to do.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Least we forget what the Iraqi's fired into the sky on opening night of Desert Storm.

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I think it also depends on how the projectile falls. If the back (blunt) end hits you, will it do the same damage as the front (pointed) end?

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    They way & number of weapons they fire into the air in the middle east I think the chances of being hit are multiplied enormously .... plus I'm sure those truck mounted machine guns have bullets a bit larger then the hand held weapons they are firing. They must really hurt when they get bonked on the head (or face if you look up at the right moment)! :eek2: They also where shown shooting the truck mounted machine guns at a relatively low angle "in celebration." There must be innocent bystanders bodies strewn all over the place.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Maybe not, but I wouldn't want to be the beta tester!

12. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    The biggest issue I had with the MB experiment was that it was based on a bullet going straight up (or as close to that as you can get). In that case, you're really only dealing with the velocity on the y axis. In the various celebratory fire scenarios, look at how they have their rifles pointed. It's hardly straight up and down.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I also saw a report that a few RPGs were fired into the air. Talk about stupid.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I watched them for a while when they first came on but I saw so many errors in HOW they conducted their tests, I couldn't see how their results could be valid. Garbage in, garbage out as the saying goes.

I trusted Mr. Peabody more.

[​IMG]

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yabbut, there was a boy killed some 50 years ago in an agricultural town where I grew up, by a 22 bullet that was a single random shot into the air. Lots of machine gun fire in an urban setting would have much higher chances of meeting flesh on the way down.

Moreover, it's a waste of precious ammo.....

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    They don't care because it's free with 10,000 Thank You Points from the US Government. :)

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Correction on "terminal velocity"...

Terminal velocity is a result of things like air resistance against the acceleration due to gravity... so an object can't increase in speed infinitely as its own surface area will meet resistance and thus there is a limit to the speed.

That said...

This doesn't apply to the gun-firing-into-the-air scenario.

IF you throw a ball up in the air and it comes straight back down... when it reaches your hand (assuming you keep your hand where it was when you let the ball go) the ball will be traveling at the same velocity as it was when it originally left your hand. That's basic physics at work.

Now... IF you let the ball fall, instead of catching it... it *may* continue to accelerate beyond that on the way down until it either hits the ground OR reaches its terminal velocity.

So... Firing a gun into the air... the bullet will go up, then come back down... and IF it falls back down to the same elevation as where it was originally fired, it will be traveling at the same velocity as it was when it left the gun. As it falls below that, it may be going even faster IF it doesn't hit something or reach terminal velocity.

In other words...

IF I have two guns... and one I place at your arm and the other I shoot upwards above your shoulder... The bullet I "shoot" you with in either case will be traveling the same speed when it hits you and will do the same damage.

Now... IF I'm by myself and shoot a gun in the air, the odds are against that bullet falling straight back down and hitting me if I remain still...

BUT do that same trick in a crowd, and the odds are in favor of SOMEONE getting hit by the bullet on the way down.

Thus... not a good idea to fire guns into the air in celebration of anything.

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Why? :scratchin

Once you let go of the ball, the only forces acting on it (in practical terms) are wind, air resistance and gravity. I don't see how the final speed would have anything to do with the initial speed once the ball has reached it's apex and is only affected downward by gravity.

19. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I don't see shooting guns in the air any different than running with the bulls or any number of other cultural things. Probably neither are anything I would do, but hey, makes for good TV....!

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I see a difference. If I want to run with the bulls, I'm putting my own life at risk. If I shoot a gun into the air, the bullet has the potential to kill an innocent bystander.