1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't understand regional sports blackout rules

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jbigbryw, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbigbryw

jbigbryw Cool Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Over the weekend, I was surfing around trying to find the Cowboys game and I ran across Fox Sports Pittsburgh which had the upcoming Steelers pre-season game. My wife is a Steelers fan (I know, interesting household) so we stopped, watched the pregame, talk shows, etc. but when it came time for the game, it was blacked out. What is the reasoning behind this? I can't get that game on any other channel except for the replay on NFL Network. Is that the reason? So the NFL channel can show me a replay several days later?

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The NFL network and the majors (NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN) own national rights to all preseason games. That is a choice of the NFL. You only see local games locally. Non-local games are only on those outlets.

3. d max82

d max82 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Tony is right....... Really stupid for us Sunday ticket subscribers. We get all the regular season games but not pre-season...... Heck I'd even pay an extra $20 for preseason.

Yeh I got the football itch.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    All professional sports are blacked out on sports channels that aren't your local one.

5. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005

I don't watch sports on regional nets (outside of my own regional net), but if this is the case, why would anyone ever purchase the Sports Pack? It sounds like the only thing you could ever watch on all the other FoxSports and ComcastSports channels would be college sports.

6. Philby

Philby AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    DING DING DING!!!!

that's exactly why people buy it - do you know how many more college football and basketball games you get?? tons!

I just signed up for the promotion they're running right now, so I have the sports pack, we'll see how much I use it the first 4 months and that'll determine if I keep it or not. I rarely use it now, especially cause stuff isn't in HD (my local RSNs anyway)

7. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    You also get the daily highlight shows, weekly team and coaches shows, etc. I mostly have it for college hockey season, though.

8. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Some of us who live in areas that are claimed by multiple RSNs benefit from the Sports Pack. Just take the example of MLB games in Des Moines: Without the Sports Pack, I would get just the Cubs and White Sox games on CSN Chicago. With the Sports Pack, I also get the Cardinals (FSN Midwest), Twins (FSN North), and Brewers (FSN Wisconsin) games, in addition to the Cubs and White Sox.

(Oddly enough...the closest MLB team to Des Moines is the Royals. We don't get them even with Sports Pack.)

9. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    +1 to the max.....It is also the only source for college hockey if you live outside New England or the Midwest. Sorry, I can't help myself. I love college hockey and live in Florida.

10. EaglePC

EaglePC Icon

Apr 14, 2007
    I know someone has billing at there vacation home in florida brings reciever home to buffalo so i can see Buffalo blackout sports.

11. Andrew67

Andrew67 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    You're not the only one. The regional networks show everything and nothing at all. Complete waste of bandwidth. I'd like to see DTV split up the country into 5-6 regions and carry 5-6 regional channels. Why we need 100+ regional channels is beyond me. And now they will start carrying the HD versions, which is even more of a misuse of bandwidth.

12. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    You are not completely alone. :)

I'm a big college hockey fan...and the Frozen Four will be coming to Tampa.

13. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Depends. Some of the regionals put out quite a bit of local programming which is of interest to a good many people. College sports, talk, pre-postgame shows for the pro games, etc.

On the other hand, some do seem to be simply the same FSN material with the games mixed in, and we don't really need 20 channels simultaneously showing Best Damn Sports Show. Or at least I don't ;)

14. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Ditto here. Not into college football, but love those college hockey games. My reason for purchasing the RSN Sports package.

15. bscolvin

bscolvin Mentor

Aug 19, 2007
    I just got directv tues. I get all the rsn after the 4 months will I still get the rsn's with the Premier package.

16. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Yes you will, enjoy all the upcomming HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.