1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Don't you hate it...

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by jeffshoaf, May 26, 2014.

1. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    ... when you see a movie trailer that looks really interesting until you realize it stars Tom Cruise?

1 person likes this.
  2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yeah.

Like when you learn that Jack Reacher, described in the Lee Child books as 6'5" and around 230 lbs, is going to be played by Tom Cruise.

I saw the movie (Red Box) and he did a better job than I thought possible. But part of the Reacher character is his size. Something Tom Cruise just can't match.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Never read the book so I had no problem with it. Looking forward to his new movie which sounds like Groundhog Day at war.

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I dunno.......I like Tom Cruise!!!

I got the movie RISKY BUSINESS on VHS a few months ago and he is pretty good!!!!!

5. Jun 2, 2014 #5 of 18
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I had the same reaction to Tom Cruise as Reacher. The Jack Reacher series of books were my first reads on the Kindle my wife had given me for Christmas several years ago. Reading ALL the books gives you a fairly deep insight as to what the character should be like. You even develop a picture. Tom Cruise would have been OK if he was a foot taller. Jim Caviezel might have been a good Reacher.

6. Jun 2, 2014 #6 of 18
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    "Personal" due out 9/2/14. I think preorder right now is $11.84.

7. Jun 3, 2014 #7 of 18
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I guess I just can't get past seeing Cruise as a cocky frat guy, even when he does a fairly decent acting job. I can't seem to suspend my disbelief, especially when he's in an action movie - i don't find him believable in those roles. It's not just because of his lack of physical stature - I thought Matt Damon did an excellent job in the Bourne movies - it's his cocky attitude that seems to come bubbling to the top in every movie he's in, regardless of whether it fits the role.

His Mission Impossible movies didn't help. From what I remember of the original TV series, it was focused on out-witting and out-thinking the team's target. The movies not only lost the team aspect, the ones I managed to watch were mostly generic action films that used masks whenever they needed a way to pull themselves out of the plot holes they'd dug. They used a few parts and pieces from the TV show (masks, self-destructing recordings), but the away the heart (team concept, brains and technology over brute force). Not bad for generic action films, but not good Mission Impossible films.

8. Jun 3, 2014 #8 of 18
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I haven't wanted to watch any Tom Cruise films since "Cocktail" -- I liked the film and
    Bryan Brown's character, but I disliked Cruise' character and portrayal in that film. But
    it was when Cruise married and defiled my longtime movie sweetheart Katie Holmes
    that I drew the line and issued a fatwah on him.

9. Jun 8, 2014 #9 of 18
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd agree with you, but I've never seen a Cruise movie that I didn't like. Kinda hate to admit that since I don't really think too much of him off stage, but I've enjoyed all his movies.

Rich

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am not going to miss a Sci-Fi movie because Tom Cruise is in it. But I am not going to watch a drama or comedy that has Tom Cruise in it.
    In comparison, I will not watch any movie of any type that has Jim Carrey in it.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well I enjoyed edge of tomorrow. Was entertaining for me.

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While not a fan of Tom Cruise I enjoyed his work in "Collateral". Was a nice change of pace seeing him play a villain. Also liked him in "Oblivion".

1 person likes this.
  13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Fortunately, he doesn't seem to do them anymore. Seems like all his movies are SF now. I really liked Oblivion. Carrey, I find kinda creepy, but I did like The Truman Show. He suffers from some kind of hyperactivity syndrome.

Rich

14. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    If you look at Tom Cruises recent movies, you'll note he's in the middle of production and direction. I think these SciFi action flicks are an attempt to hold on to youth.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good point. Whatever his reasons, he does pick good scripts. I watched War of the Worlds the other day on a BD for the first time. That's a pretty good movie too. I had seen it before, of course, but never on a BD.

Rich

16. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Or attract another young impressionable hottie...

17. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    iNDEED!

1 person likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Rich