1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doomsday Preppers

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The National Geographic channel had a new series called Doomsday Preppers which explores the lives of otherwise ordinary Americans who are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. Unique in their beliefs, motivations, and strategies, preppers will go to whatever lengths they can to make sure they are prepared for any of life’s uncertainties. What I was expecting was a show talking about the preparations people make for a major catastrophe. What I got was a profile of the preppers, what measures they are taking, and a evaluation, all with a hint of "these are a bunch of fringe weirdos" like hoarding enough food to last twenty years because they expect their fellow man to turn in savages.

After one episodes, I shut it off.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Y2k all over again, except with no due date. Maintaining a constant state of crisis rediness, rotating perishables and all those family "drills" -- it must be exausting to watch, must less do.

I have enough stress in my life.

Pass.

(I wouldn't want my kids growing up thinking Dad was nuttier than he was already.)

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    These people are nuts. They're no different then hoarders or other extreme OCD people.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
  5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Busted!!!!!!

And, mind you, I believe that a disaster is waiting to happen, and that you should be prepared to be self-sufficient for about a week. (I'm not.) I would have liked to know how long that preserved chicken was going to keep. I would have liked to know what electronics they were going to run from those windmills. Instead, I got people who I was utterly convinced would have trotted out the tin-foil hats and X File theories if I stay tuned.

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I passed on this. Not interested!