1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Double Play - Keep active or turn off every 2 hours?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n3ntj, Sep 14, 2009.

Re-activate Double Play every 2 hours or leave on 24/7?

1. Yes, keep Double Play active 24/7 (when a tuner is not needed for a recording)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, turn off Double Play when not used after 2 hours (must re-activate after 2 hrs.)

101 vote(s)
    70.6%
  3. Huh? What's Double Play?

42 vote(s)
    29.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    This one has been bugging me...having to turn Double Play back on every 2 hours if not in use. Sometimes I have the other tuner on a channel I will be monitoring a few hours from now so I don't forget, like when 2 games will be happening at the same time. If I forget, in 3 hours I flip over and the thing wasn't buffering.

Would you like to see Double Play continue 24/7 (when a recording is NOT occurring) or turn off after 2 hours of non-use?

2. vfviola

vfviola AllStar

Jul 18, 2009
    I have not received the update yet in TN, but I am used to the old TIVO days that did not need to activated. I am very thankful that we have made it this far, but yes I would love to see it operate like the TIVO based systems. I myself sometimes leave the other tuner without checking regularly. A change would be greatly appreciated!

3. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    I honestly don't care. When I had the Tivo and utilized it it was because I had two things going at once. I would pause one, switch tuners to check the other, then pause it and go back to the first tuner. If I had something that I wasn't going to "check in on" within the 2 hour window then I'd just record it and wouldn't worry about losing the buffer.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't understand the point of the poll.

Of course everyone would rather have it be continuous, why wouldn't you?

But it's not going to change. The 2 hour limit is there for a reason (whatever it may be) and that's it.

5. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    :beatdeadhorse:

6. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Does everyone realize that once activated DP will stay active beyond two hours as long as you're using the remote; even if you don't swap tuners.

If you're watching TV for ten hours DP will stay active that whole time (assuming you activated it to begin with).

Mike

7. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I would say I like it the way it is.

8. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    I assumed it would work as long as a tuner is switched within the 2 hour timeframe but your saying even on one tuner for the whole 2 hour period any remote action will keep it active? What's the big deal then? Surely within that amount of time you'd check the guide or something.

9. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Yes. As long you are actively using the receiver it will remain active. It’s only after they receiver is inactive for two hours that DP deactivates.

Mike

10. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Exactly the reason I say leave it. If you activated DP your probably not going to stay on one tuner the whole time. Every time you switch it keeps staying active. Think people are under the impression that DP turns itself off after 2 hours regardless.

11. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    Right that maybe part of the confusion. Of course any action would extend that 2 hour period from the latest action. If it was a 2 hour activation period and only a 2 hour activation then I could see why people would be upset. But I gather that 2 hour window is extended from the latest point. As I said earlier if you're not going to switch tuners (or now I've found out even touch the remote) within a 2 timeframe why the heck would you even be using DLB and not just recording the other program. Obviously it's something you're not interested in at the moment.

12. Anaisa

Anaisa Cool Member

Sep 5, 2008
    +1

Reliable two hours is better than unreliable

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yesterday I was using DP for a couple of early football games. I stopped using it at around 3PM. At about 9PM last night, forgetting I had been using DP earlier, I went to activate it again and it was already active and the second tuner still had an intact buffer.

14. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I think the confusion comes in during activation. In the pop up once you activate it Directv gives you the timeout rule but doesn't say that the rule is void as long as you use DP. What Directv may want to do is send one of those TVmail messages with the Directv Guy and give a little tutorial as they do with the How to stuff they run on channel 201. Might help alot of people figure this out especially those that dont use this board. Also, Tivo users I think are used to the no timeout version and may be expecting the exact same product.

15. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Had the same experience. I was watching the Dolphins game and then left the house. When i came back well past the timeout portion DP was still running.

16. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    Exactly!

I spent the whole day yesterday watching Sunday Ticket and DP was there for me all that time.

I didn't vote because option #2 is incorrectly worded. But if it meant "No, leave it as is," then that's what I would have voted for.

People are also forgetting that, when the situation arises, the second tuner will change channels and start a new buffer to record a show. Granted, if DP is in use, it will ask you if you want to record and stop DP, or cancel the recording and continue DP.

17. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    this was argued and beat to death in other forums. and it was argued with passion :)
    it is what it is now.....

18. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    You might want to wait until you get DP, and actually use it, before making any judgments about how DP functions. :)

19. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    Obviously DP is a work-around the Tivo patent, which I still like better. However DP is still better than no DP.

20. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I rather have it 24/7 but they way it is now is fine. Im always using the remote any way so double play is pretty continuous when Im watching tv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.