1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Douglas Engelbart, age 88 (You're probably using one of his devices right now)

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Jul 3, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23174052

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    A real pioneer. Oddly enough, I am using a track pad at this moment, but I still have an old rectangular mouse from a very old Mac.
    R.I.P. Doug

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I first was exposed to that technology when I bought an Atari Gran Trak 10 driving game for my beach arcade in 1974. It was used to detect both direction and angular rate of the steering wheel rotation.

There were two infrared leds and two receiving transistors and a light interrupter wheel in between them. The outputs of the receiver transistors was converted to TTL level (five volts for binary 1, zero volts for binary 0) and those outputs were then fed into a J-K flipflop, such that the triggering pulse would assuredly arrive when the other input (I forget their designations) was high when the wheel was spun in one direction, but low when spun in the other. If you saw a wave timing diagram, you could easily see why it would never fail. The rate of motion detection pulse could be provided by either of the receiver transistors. I don't remember the first game to use two of these optical interdiction pairs in a so-called trackball like a mouse does, but it might have been Missile Command.

The only weakness of the trackball implementation was that you could attain maximum speed a little faster in one direction than the other because the trackball and roller shaft were off to one side or the other, and pushing the trackball towards the roller made more reliable frictional contact than pushing it in the away direction.

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    RIP Doug and thank you!

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati