1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Downloading schedules, making a Movie Finder

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rdelrossi, Oct 18, 2009.

1. rdelrossi

rdelrossi New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I'm new to the forum, so please excuse a newbie question or direct me if I should post this elsewhere.

I have a list of movies that I'd love to catch on my DirecTV. The thing is, I find searching through the on-screen guide very tedious. So I thought I'd write myself a little program to scan the guide for my list of favorites. The program could then tell me when they were on and I could schedule a recording or what not.

No matter how hard I search, though, I can't seem to find any way to gain access to the DirecTV schedules in some kind of downloadable format. An XML file would be great, but I'd take just about anything I could find and then I could massage it into some kind of indexable data format.

It's hard to believe that DirecTV wouldn't make schedule data available for projects like this that, after all, only promote the use of their product. That said, I want to be clear that my little project is just for personal use. I'm not trying to write a commercial application.

Anyhow, I appreciate any guidance you folks can give me.

Thanks

-- Robert

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Have you tried setting up an Auto record series link?

Lets say you want to know when "The Princess Bride" is going to air in HD...

setup a keyword search like this:

PRINCESS BRIDE TTITLE then choose something hi-def, it will automatically keep checking the guide until it comes on.

You can do this for any movie.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati