1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downside of no phone line?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vfr781rider, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vfr781rider

vfr781rider Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Gladeville, TN
    We are considering taking out our land line and going cell only. As far as the HR20 is concerned, I know I lose ordering PPV through the remote. We never order PPV anyway. Is there anything else that would be affected? It seems that I remember another something, but I cannot remember. Thanks for any info.

2. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    You might lose VOD, when it happens, especially for things like pay VOD. I've been landline free for a few years, and had the HR20 for about 8 months, and no problems.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The only other thing that I can think of is CID which you won't have anyway since you won't have a phone.

4. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    I would imagine that once VOD goes live, just having broadband should give D* everything they need. I mean they're going to set it up that you can schedule recordings on their website, why wouldn't they be able to get billing info off of your box?

5. geopig

geopig Cool Member

Nov 16, 2005
    You don't need a land line to order PPV via remote. We have not had a phone line ever hooked up to ours and order PPV all the time with the remote. No idea about VOD though.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Really? Once your Access Card fills with PPV purchases you shouldn't be able to order any more. Have you been billed for those PPVs?

7. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The Game Lounge currently uses the phone line to connect to your game lounge account for authorization.

The customer support rep will no longer be able to do some things when calling in with issues, not sure to what degree this would be affected.

The option of D* collecting user watching habits will be affected IF you have selected this in your D* account.

Of course, your phone test will fail during system test.

8. nikwax

nikwax Legend

Jan 1, 2007
    I have VoIP telephony and my HR20 is not normally attached to the phone line. I had a PPV fail to play and had to attach it to the phone line and let it complete a dialup sequence in order to view the movie.

Other than that, there appears to be no reason to attach the HR20 to a phone line.

9. jes

jes Icon

Apr 20, 2007
    Doesn't the network connection do everything the phone connection does?

As for PPVs, you can order them from the web, which is a better choice anyway as it turns on all your receivers...

10. ToddinVA

ToddinVA Godfather

Mar 5, 2006
    Can the HR20 phone home over the Internet instead of dial-up? If not, does it work worth a darn with Vonage? My current TiVo's haven't been able to dial-up successfully over Vonage for 2 months now...

11. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If you are talking about dialing in for a software update it does not need the phone line. The HR20 gets it's update by the SAT's unlike the TiVo that needs a phone line for it's updates.

12. twistedT

twistedT Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    My HR20 and two H20s have made thousands of call to D*!! I heard the Tivos

have a hard time with Vonage, but the HR20 doesn't. I have had Viop for about two

years without any problems. :) BMoreRavens is correct, the guide and updates come over the sats.

As for ppvs, no problems.

13. jimmymiko

jimmymiko AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    I have had no problems with my HR20 or my R15 with Vonage. Maybe not a good representation as my DirecTiVo's worked also.

14. ToddinVA

ToddinVA Godfather

Mar 5, 2006
    My DirecTiVo's have worked pretty well with Vonage for 2 years but suddenly stopped successfully connecting at the end of April. This has a affected a lot of other users too. If I end up getting an HR20, I just don't want to have to continue to deal with these phone line hassles. If the HR20 has Ethernet, then why do we still need a phone line? Is it so they'll know where we are?

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The downside of no phone line are:

No PPV via remote
    No Caller ID
    Limited Game Lounge Options
    Sports & Other Programming Blackouts*
    Unknown future services
    Possible software updates**

*The sports package requirement has been enforced very, very rarely, if ever. However that could change at any time.

**A person from D* (not a CSR) has stated that there is limited room on the "software carousel" so some receivers may need a phone line connection for updates. No time frame was give.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006

You may need to tweak your settings for the Tivo to phone home. Here is the info they gave us in a tech bulletin.

Change Dialing Options
    Through DVR/TiVo Menus:
    1. DIRECTV Central
    2. Messages & Setup
    3. Settings
    4. Phone
    5. Edit Phone Settings
    6. Choose: Area Code 212
    7. Select Dial in Number: Manhattan South
    1-212-277-3895
    8. Test Number. May have to try 2 or 3 times.
    9. (If needed) Call waiting prefix: *99,,*70,,#034 (note the commas).
    10. Tone/pulse: Tone
    11. Phone avail detection: Off
    12. Dial tone detection: Off
    13. After the "test changes" are successful, make a test call.
    14. If TiVo daily call still fails after 3 tries “Change Speed Through Vonage (VoIP) Menus”:

Vonage – “Change Speed Through Vonage Menus”:
    1. Go to Vonage website www.vonage.com.
    2. Log into your Vonage account.
    3. On the Vonage dashboard, click on FEATURES.
    4. Go to BANDWIDTH SAVER, and click on CONFIGURE button.
    5. Review sound quality / bandwidth selection (expressed in Kbps).
    o 30 Kbps / Normal Sound Quality = normal telephone service
    o 50 Kbps / Higher Sound Quality = above-average sound
    o 90 Kbps / Highest Sound Quality = best digital audio quality
    6. Change the setting to 90 Kbps.
    o Advise customer - new setting may affect Internet speed.
    o If already set to 90 Kbps, continue below.
    7. Press SUBMIT.
    8. If test indicates "failure," repeat above steps.
    9. Log out of your Vonage account.
    10. Try TiVo daily call.
    o IMPORTANT - If you changed setting to 90 Kbps in step 6, wait 1 hour before trying TiVo daily call.
    o If setting was already 90 Kbps, you can try TiVo daily call right away.

Good luck.

17. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    PPV can be ordered online at no charge. When you order online, you get the PPV on all your receivers. With remote ordering you only get the PPV on that TV.

PPV by remote is billed thru the telephone. A few years ago one of my recievers got disconnected from the telephone. I got a letter that said if I did not connect the telephone so they could check for PPVs they would turn off my service. The newer access cards seem to control this as posted above.

18. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Never had a phone line on any of my recievers.. I don't use PPV but if I did want one I could always goto the website..

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    As a side note, all three of my HR20s have a phone line and I order my PPVs on the web site.

20. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    I'm just wondering what you that do not have land lines are using for internet ? I have a land line for two reasons: 1) I need it for my DSL connection, and 2) I will NEVER EVER EVER use Comcast again for anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.