1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DP: AutoPause, yes or no

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ATARI, Sep 12, 2009.

Should buffer be autopaused when switching tuners with DoublePlay?

1. Yes, pause the buffer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, keep the buffer running in the background

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Based on the discussions in the other DoublePlay / 0x034C threads, I figured it's time to get a hand count on the question.

When switching tuners using DoublePlay, would you prefer that the buffer be paused automatically or keep playing?

2. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I voted 'No', because, as was stated in another thread, there is no work around for 'keep playing'.

3. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    +1

It's easy enough to press pause before switching, what would be a rationalle for auto-pause?

4. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I don't want it to "autopause" I just want it to STAY PAUSED when **I** PAUSE it and not start playing automatically when I go back. I paused it because I wanted it paused.

5. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm not sure I get this one, why switch back if you don't want to resume watching the paused show?

6. Motorheadbanger

Motorheadbanger Cool Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Think the poll should've had a 3rd choice for making autopause an option in the menu/setup.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Mostly I would want it to autopause.

However, there are times when I wouldn't want it to.

So, I selected NO, since there's no workaround for not pausing it if it's autopause.

8. Nicholsen

Nicholsen Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    +1

That is the best option. Autopause as an option, like the slip/skip option.

I think I would concede that many (perhaps even most most) users don't want to be locked into autopause.

Atari, would you consider posting a revised poll that includes that option?

9. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I voted for pause. I would prefer it do it for me since I pause before i switch tuners. It doesnt bother me that I have to do it but think the feature would work well if it paused for me to remove that extra step.

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I voted yes for AUTUPAUSE I would like to keep it playing if it is up to live TV

11. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Then how many button presses would it take to turn it off and on, especially if one goes back and forth from wanting it on at times and off at other times. A lot more than the single pause button press when a pause is wanted.

12. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    NO

Because at times I watn it to pause (I hit the button) and there are times that I don't (and I don't hit the button)

seems like the best/simplest implementation to me...

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yep, no reason to even have a poll.

Even if it was 99% for auto-pause, D* would never do it, because it would mean no DP for that 1%. Without auto-pause, everyone can use the feature.

14. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    I also vote NO...including to adding a configuration option.

Presumably, when one changes the channel (by any means, not just via Double Play), one wants to watch the switched-to broadcast in progress, as opposed to watch a paused frame.

After you've switched channels, should an interruption take place (e.g., telephone call, nature call, etc.), then one can always press the pause button and resume play afterwards.

But the biggest question, though, is why press "Play" when you are not ready to resume watching the show? In the case of Double Play, if you have the second tuner paused, switching back is equivalent to pressing the "Play" button. Again, don't switch back until you're ready to resume watching.

15. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    My thoughts exacty.

16. Motorheadbanger

Motorheadbanger Cool Member

Sep 16, 2006
    The point being at least you'd have a CHOICE. If it's too many button presses for someone that would use it both ways then by all means leave autopause off. If it were an option in the menu to either have autopause on or off we wouldn't even be having this debate. Those that want it, turn it on. Those that don't, leave it off. Seems pretty simple to me.

17. Nicholsen

Nicholsen Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    I think there is some confusion as to how "autopause" would work.

1. When you leave a channel (and that channel becomes the "background tuner") that channel/buffer would pause automatically, and wait for your return.

2. When you access the second channel/buffer (now the "foreground tuner") any pause in effect would be released automatically and the channel would begin to play from where it was previously paused.

-- The DP would pauses and pause release automatically, letting you jump between the two channels without missing any content. You can always skip (or slip) forward to skip material you don't want to watch on either channel.

I think most Sunday Ticket subscribers will use the DP in this fashion, and would much prefer autopause. It could be optional, and enabled with a one-time setting much like the 30 skip function is presently. There is absolutely no need to choose between having or not having it. It can be there as an option, if you want it. No need to choose, it's a win/win for everyone.

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No autopause needed here....works fine for NFL Sunday Ticket as is.

19. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    a resounding no from this end.

20. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Simple is just pressing the pause button before pressing the down arrow. That is simple. Press if you want on, don't press if you want it off. The choice is just one button press away, not a maze of menu screens and button pushing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.