1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DP on HR 44 not as fluid as on HR 24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hookemfins, Oct 14, 2013.

1. hookemfins

hookemfins DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    I've noticed that when starting DP on the HR 44, it doesn't function as well as on the other HR 20's.

I'll use tonight as an example. On my HR 24 would, with 206 as starting point, enter 247 (MLB) and press twice the down arrow. DP starts and works no problem. I've been using that method since DP's inception.

It doesn't work that way with the HR 44. I was on 206 and the buffer was going. I hit 247 and down arrow twice but the channel changed to my second DP station from last night (SNF and MLB). I get the AFP message but when I hit the Dow arrow I hear the sound effect but doesn't return to 206. So I lose the starting buffer.

Receiver had been off for over 18 hour. One client was on but not tuned to any station involved. This happens the first time I attempt to enter into DP. I had at least 3 available tuners.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you are supposed to hit DOWN ARROW while on 206 not after you changed to 247 so you dont loose the buffer

3. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    I was on 206 and trying to go to 247. The 2nd station mentioned was from last nights DP b/t SNF and MLB.

4. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    I took this video to better explain the problem. I started from 654 and went to add 10 to DP. As you can see it went to 219 which was the previous 2nd channel the last time enabled DP. I disabled DP and was starting fresh. This problem is repeatable from any scenario.

View attachment 23824

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What peds48 said. Press down arrow twice to switch to the other buffer, then select the second channel you want.
    Now you can switch between the two.

6. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    That's what I do. Only difference is, as in the video, on 654>enter 10 and down arrow twice. As it showed in the video, DP was started just on a different channel.

Shouldn't it be the same as on the HR 24 or any of the HR2x? That's the method I've been using since DP's inception.

7. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I've never done it the way you are saying. I always hit the down arrow and then enter in the channel I want. I've never entered a channel number while still in the first buffer unless I want to actually change channels, not start Dual Play.

8. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    It's always how I did it on the HR 24. So how is DP supposed to be enabled on the HR44?

I was told by someone at DirecTV that DP isn't even supposed be an option on the genie dvr's.

9. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Wow, that person was so totally wrong!

You press the down arrow and the double play menu pops up telling you to press down again. You press down again and it goes to some channel - maybe the one you had before, maybe not. After it settles on whatever channel it picks, you then enter the channel number of your second program. Then you toggle between the 2 with the down button.

10. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    That works but still seems like extra steps from the hr2xs. But at least that is workable solution so I don't loose the first buffer.

Thanks

11. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    How is it extra steps? The way you were doing it you entered the channel and hit down twice. This way you hit down twice and then enter the channel. It's the same number of key presses.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As I said on post #2, this is the right way to do it, and it is the same amount of key presses

13. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    It's extra steps because the only way it works is as Supermom posted

Start 206>down arrow twice>goes to last previous buffer>Down arrow back to 206>Enter desired 2nd buffer channel.

What you Peds48 and dbronstein describe works for an HR 24 or any other HR 2X DVR but not on my HR 44 (genie).

Only thing I think of is I have a bad DVR or the 5 tuners of the HR 44 doesn't allow the conventional way DP is started.

14. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Why are you going back to the first tuner to enter the second channel? Just tune to the first channel you want to buffer. Down arrow twice to second tuner, then enter the second channel. This is how it works on my HR44 and how it worked on my previous HR24 and HR20.

As for the "conventional way DP is started", according to the DirecTV website, the way to use DP is as we have stated - hit the down arrow twice and then tune to the second channel. https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2471/kw/doubleplay My guess is the way you were doing it previously is an unsupported feature or glitch.

15. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Finally got it to work. It was a timing issue on my end. After the down arrow twice I immediately entered the 2nd channel instead of waiting for the screen color changes. Once the screen color turns darker is when I enter the 2nd channel. None of the explanations either here or on the website said exactly when to enter the 2nd channel.

This method is new and takes some adjusting. The way I had been doing it was the only method I knew and worked 100% of the time. From tune 1 enter tuner 2 channel and down arrow twice.

Another problem solved.

Thanks

16. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    It doesn't matter when you enter the second channel. After you down arrow twice, you're on the second tuner and you can change the channel whenever you'd like.

17. DNickelson

DNickelson New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Tulsa
    I would say this, though you've been used to the DP why not just use the PiP since it's a Genie? Just a suggestion

18. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    Just an aside to all this DP confusion. Once you have a Genie, why even mess with DP. Just put program #1 on record, and them go to program #2 and put it on record. Then just switch back and forth with the "prev" button and you never miss a second. Then if you want switch to something else for a minute, you still don't lose anything. With 5 tuners why screw around with something like DP.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    +1. Or PiP. But, diff strokes n all.

And if you record an hour in advance, you can watch three FB games in about an hour and a half, using FF.