1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPP WA.4 identified as DPP Twin?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by wildbilll, Oct 18, 2011.

1. wildbilll

wildbilll Cool Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I have a friend that has decided to put up a 1000.4 WA dish. At the same time he upgraded from a Dish 500 and some 510 receivers to the VIP211K's.
    There are 2 issues.
    He aimed it to 119 with the outer LNB's covered with foil. Pole is set to within 0.2 degrees plumb both directions.

Issue #1.
    Then he ran a switch test. It came back as a DPP Twin, the 129 shows as NC, yet it shows a green signal bar on the signal strength page for Echostar 129. (and 119 and 110 also)
    The switch test sequence is a 3 step process. On my identical install, the test is a 4 step process and mine identifies as a DPP WA.4 and all three sats are marked as WA.4
    He had to put a DPP44 on there to get things working for all 3 sats, this bypasses the LNB internal switching I believe. With the DPP44 all is good but he shouldnt need the switch on there all the time.
    Is this a bad LNB?

Issue #2.
    The 119 and 110 signals are 75 to 80. 129 started out as a 29, in frustration he flexed the western side of the dish with his hands (not so much to bend it) and while he was flexing it, the 129 levels would climb to over 50. He decided to try peaking on 129, but unless he flexes it, he can't get it better than a 40. The other sats stay at least 70 after peaking on 129 to the high of 40.
    Is the reflector out of shape? I looked at it and I don't see any dents or creases.

2. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Issue#1 - The reason the receiver identified it as a DPP Twin is because the version of the software on the receiver currently is from before a WA LNBF existed, this is normal. Just let it lock in, download the current software and run checkswitch again - it will correctly identify it now. No need for the 44 Switch unless you have more than 3 receivers connected.

Issue #2 - It is possible for the reflector to be warped, but the only way to know for sure is to swap it out. Have you tried adjusting the skew? Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little 110 strength to bring 129 up. What TP are you looking at on 129?

3. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    I had the same issue when I hooked up my old 508 to a Dish 500 which before it was coax to my 1000.2 dish. A member on here guided me to the right thing. Disconnect the coax (RG-6) from back of the receiver, and run a check switch on the receiver without the LNB connected. This clears the old software thingy on the 211K.

4. wildbilll

wildbilll Cool Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanks.

Issue #1 is resolved. I guess it took a firmware update when it was authorized/activated. He put it back to the DPP WA.4 and it identifies correctly now.

After the installation, that night it rained and the 129 signal did drop out with that 43 signal level.

Issue #2 was resolved sort of the next day. First, a different reflector was installed. It went to zero signal. It was re-aimed, the signals returned, but still low on 129 (this is all on TP21 on all sats).

Then it was decided to swap the entire dish and LNB out.

Now, with 78 or so on 119, 129 is a 55. 110 is a 65.

I told him everything I read says that if the pole is plumb, don't mess with the skew. But he did try peaking on 129, the 55 was as good as it gets.

When the new assembly was placed on the pole, but not yet clamped tight yet, it was hitting in the mid 80's on 119 tp21. As the clamp bolts were tightened, the signal started dropping until when the bolts were fully torqued, the signal was in the 50's. I figured, no problem, this will correct with the fine adjusts for azimuth and elevation on the 1000.4 backing structure/mount.
    It would not go above 78 on 119. The pole is a fence line post (1-5/8 inch filled with concrete. It is plumb and very solid. (new for this dish installation) I don't understand why it can get a better signal loose and that it won't get back to that signal level when tight after fine adjusting it. I fugure that as the bolts are tightened, the net effect is the lnb is rising in elevation, the azimuth is changing a little.
    I thought the signals were circular polarization and as long as 119 was on center, up/down. left/right that skew makes no difference for that sat. I inderstand how skew affects the two outer sats, but not the center one.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Remember with any multi satellite dish you are not focusing on a fixed spot in the center of the dish. With 3 satellites you are actually focusing on three curved spots which means you are not on the perfect spots for maximum signal. They are OPTOMIZED for best reception of the satellites. If you want maximum you need 3 satellite dishes each peaked on one location.

6. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Given the fact that 129 and 110 are both low leads me to believe that the skew is off a little. And 78 is plenty high on 119, trying to get it back to the mid 80's like you saw briefly while loose will only increase your insanity.

Always adjust in this order - azimuth, elevation, then skew.