1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPP44 power inserter issue

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by saiyan, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 1, 2007 #1 of 15
    saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    Hi all.

I recently purchased a power inserter for DPP44 switch on eBay. After I installed the power inserter, the receiver that connects to it can not detect any satellite signals.

My equipements includes a Dish 500+, DPP44 switch, one VIP211 and one VIP622.

And here are my configurations.

Before power inserter is installed:
    Switch port 1 connects to VIP211 (VIP211 supplies power to DPP44 switch)
    Switch port 2 connects to VIP622

After power inserter is installed:
    Switch port 1 connects to DPP44 Power which connects to VIP211.
    Switch port 2 connects to VIP622

Without the power inserter, both VIP211 and VIP622 shows DPP44 switch in their system info screen.

With the power inserter is installed, only VIP622 sees DPP44 switch. VIP211 which connects to the power inserter thinks its connecting to a regular DP swich and it can not see any satellite signals.

I went to System Setup -> Installation -> Point Dish screen to do some testings and VIP211 simply does not see a DPP44 switch.

Is there any special procedure I need to follow to use a power inserter?
    Or is the power inserter I purchased defective?

Any information would be appreciated.
    -CG

2. Nov 1, 2007 #2 of 15
    DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Didn't someone say that Port 1 is bad and that you shouldn't use it or something?

3. Nov 1, 2007 #3 of 15
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Make sure the power inserter is not in backwards and the green led is lit.

4. Nov 1, 2007 #4 of 15
    Shadow

Shadow AllStar

Apr 12, 2007
    If your 622 is seeing the switch then there is nothing wrong with the inserter. Has the 211 downloaded current software and been activated? Something else to try is move the power inserter to the 622 and change your cables at the switch accordingly. Sounds like a cable issue to me.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #5 of 15
    BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    If it works without the power inserter why are you using the power inserter? I have found that unless you have a long cable run that the switch will usually work without the power inserter. Also, if you do have a long cable run to one of the receivers it may be better to put the power inserter near the receiver with the long run.

6. Nov 1, 2007 #6 of 15
    Shadow

Shadow AllStar

Apr 12, 2007
    On occassion, the switch will power without the inserter, but it will fail after a few days.

7. Nov 1, 2007 #7 of 15
    saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    I thought DPP44 switch gets its power from port 1 so you must have a power inserter or a receiver connected to port 1 to provide power.

8. Nov 1, 2007 #8 of 15
    saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    The power inserter is providing power properly to DPP44 otherwise my 622 would not see the switch.

The issue I have is satellite signals coming from DPP44 port 1 apparently is not passed-through the inserter to my 211 receiver. Perhaps the RG6 cable connecting my 211 to the power inserter is bad.

One thing I noticed about this RG6 cable is that its copper wire sticking out at both ends are only about 1cm in length. On the other hand, the RG6 cable connecting the DPP44 to the power inserter has 1.5 cm copper wire sticking out. I don't know if that makes any difference or not.

Nevertheless. I will go get a new RG6 cable at Fry's and see if the cable is the problem.

9. Nov 1, 2007 #9 of 15
    saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    You are the first person who said it is okay not to use a power inserter if all receivers are working.

Yes, all my receivers work okay even without the power inserter. But many users pointed out that using receivers to power the switch puts stress on the receivers' power supply and may shorten receivers' lifespan. They said these receivers are not designed to provide power to external swtich so it is recommended to install a power inster.

I will admit that I feel paranoid about not having a power inserter and that is why I bought one. Even Dish's tech support said a power inserter should have been installed.

10. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    It's hard not to say that your problem is the inserter, especially if everything was working without it. I know of several people who are using the DPP44 without the inserter and have yet had no problems with their rcvrs. Maybe you can put in a claim with Ebay and have your monies refunded. Make sure your connectors are tight (crimp fittings sometimes loosen when you make changes like you have. And make sure that the light is illuminated on the inserter and connected properly behind the rcvr. Also, place the inserter behind the 622 and see what happens. Last option is the use a coaxial connection in the house that isn't being used for anything for the inserter. Just the inserter plugged into the wallplate and the other end into Port#1 of the DPP44. :icon_cool

11. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    I guess it is also possible that the power inserter you bought is bad. Did you buy it used?

12. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    The inserter could be bad. From what I understand, it does not matter which satellite input/receiver the cable is connected to between the inserter and the receiver. The only "must" is that the line that comes out of the power inserter box 'towards' the switch must go into port #1 on the switch.

Also, don't connect or disconnect any cables without unplugging the power inserter AND receivers. ...that arc you saw would have blown a fuse--except there is no fuse so you might have fried it. (I have the t-shirt for that one.) After I fried my inserter, the receiver worked for several days before all 'down under' broke loose. 3 weeks of sending out/back replacement receivers and a tech crew visit and they isolated the problem.

It could be something stupid too--like a loose end connector or something. Check those. It might be that the more voltage makes a more enough difference for a bad end connector to matter.

13. saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    OKay. After some testing using two different RG6 cables, I am now sure the power inserter is partially defective. For some reason it does not pass satellite signals properly to my receiver even though it powers DPP44 switch just fine. So basically I can use the power inserter only as a power supply for DPP44. Video pass-through simply does not work.

I will probably contact the eBay seller about returning the item. It was advised as a new unit and it looks new.

Alright guys. Please let me know if I should really get a power inserter. My current two receivers (211 and 622) work just fine without one. And I am planning to upgrade my 211 to a 722 in a few weeks. So come next month, my new 722 will become the power supply unit to DPP44.

14. tpbrady

tpbrady Mentor

Sep 1, 2004
    Try a two port power passing power divider between the power inserter and the switch. The receiver can then get it's satellite signal through the power divider and the power inserter will power the switch. It's about a $3 fix if it works.

15. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    I'd call Dish and explain your situation. Tell them that the installer should have given you an inserter but never did. They'll send another tech out to you within the next few days I'm sure.

Its quicker than waiting for Ebay seller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.