1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRAFT: DBSTalk First Look: DIRECTV Ethernet Coaxial Adapter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by Stuart Sweet, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    DBSTalk is proud to present a first look at the future of networking DIRECTV High Definition receivers... the DIRECTV Ethernet Coaxial Adapter, or DECA.

[​IMG]

Click here for the DECA First Look in PDF format.

Special thanks to HDTVfan0001 and dave29 for their excellent authorship of the First Look, and Sixto for the Overview below.

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Overview
    • The DirecTV Ethernet Coaxial Adapter (DECA) enables DirecTV to create a DirecTV Coax Home Network. This is DirecTV's implementation of Multimedia over Coax (MoCA).
    • The DirecTV Coax Home Network utilizes the frequency range 500-600MHz within a DirecTV SWM environment, to enable Ethernet (RJ-45) connectivity via Coax to DirecTV receivers.
    • Typically there will be one Coax Network within a home, but there can be multiple Coax Networks, one per SWM port, all bridged to the Home Network.
    Coax Network - Prerequisites
    • DirecTV SWM-enabled environment
      • SWMLine Dish or
      • SWM-8 MultiSwitch(s)
      • The SWM environment allows for the 500-600MHz frequency range needed for the Coax Home Network.
    • DirecTV SWM-capable and Ethernet-capable (RJ-45) receiver(s)
      • DirecTV H21/H23 HD Receiver(s) or
      • DirecTV HR2x/R22 DVR Receiver(s)
    • Home Network with at least one open RG-45 interface
    Coax Network - New Hardware
    • 1 SWM Filter, to separate the SWM from the Coax Network.
    • 1 DECA for connectivity to the existing Home Network. Power is supplied by 1 DECA Power Inserter (PI).
    • 1 DECA for each DirecTV receiver. Power is supplied by the receiver.
    • Possibly an additional or larger SWM-approved Splitter to provide Coax connectivity.
    • Special Note: Currently the HR20-100 requires it's DECA to be powered by the secondary tuner input, or a separate PI, while the satellite signal is passed to the primary tuner input.
    Step-1: SWM / Coax Network Separation
    • The SWM Filter must be installed after the SWM output, and prior to the first splitter.
    • Typically the SWM Filter will be installed at the SWM PI output, or at the SWM port#2 output.
    • Installation of the SWM Filter should have no effect on the existing SWM environment.
    Step-2: Home Network Connectivity / IP Addressing
    • In order to provide Coax Network connectivity to the existing Home Network and the Internet, there needs to be a "network" DECA installed.
    • The "network" DECA will have three connections:
      • The "Ethernet" RJ-45 interface will be connected to the Home Network
      • The "Sat Rcvr / Power" pigtail will be connected to the power inserter (PI)
      • The "Wall outlet" F-connector will be connected to the SWM environment
    • All network traffic from any receiver on the Coax Network, to any receiver outside the Coax Network or the Internet, will pass through the "network" DECA.
    • Installation of the "network" DECA should have no effect on the existing SWM environment.
    • Note: Instead of installing a "network" DECA, it should be possible to have a DECA-attached receiver with two RJ-45 ports provide the Home Network connectivity by connecting the top RJ-45 port to the DECA and the bottom RJ-45 port to the Home Network. This configuration may be unsupported by DirecTV, and you must be very careful to not create a loop condition whereas there's more then one connection from the Coax Network to the Home Network. This will also cause all network traffic to the Home Network to pass through the DECA that is attached to the receiver providing the Home Network connection, which may affect the network performance of this receiver.
    Step-3: Receiver Network Connectivity
    • In order to provide Coax Network connectivity to a DirecTV receiver, there needs to be a "receiver" DECA installed.
    • The "receiver" DECA will have three connections:
      • The "Ethernet" RJ-45 interface will be connected to the DirecTV receiver port#1 (top)
      • The "Sat Rcvr / Power" pigtail will be connected to the DirecTV receiver
      • The "Wall outlet" F-connector will be connected to the SWM environment
    • After installation of the "receiver" DECA and restarting the receiver, the receiver should have full network connectivity, just as if the receiver was directly connected to the Home Network.
    Notes:
    • Due to the Coax Home Network's use of the 500-600Mhz frequency range, diplexing of OTA into the SWM environment is not supported.
    • DECA-networked receivers can be inter-mixed with direct-attached networked receivers within the home.
    Summary
    • After the proper installation of the Coax Home Network, each DECA-attached DirecTV receiver should perform very similarly as if the receiver was directly RJ-45 connected to the home network.
    DirecTV Coax Home Network Example - Pictorial View
    • Click on thumbnail below.

Attached Files:

3. Aug 4, 2009 #3 of 90
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, this is your last chance... please proof the above two posts as well as the PDF for style, spelling, grammar and accuracy. The above two posts will be broken out for the "official" first look thread, and your comments will stay here.

4. Aug 4, 2009 #4 of 90
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Final Changes:

Sixto's overview needs "R22" added with the other compatible receivers.

5. Aug 4, 2009 #5 of 90
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    SWMLNB PI is the 21 volt PI.
    Only early shippments had the SWM8 [28 vot] PI included.

6. Aug 4, 2009 #6 of 90
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Wonderful work as usual.

Some suggestions for page 2:

"Multi-room Viewing (MRV)"
    Change to "Multi-Room Viewing (MRV)"

"On Demand will only be limited to the speed provided by your ISP."
    Or maybe also be the speed of the server?

"Qualifying HD devices include: DirecTV H21 series receivers (and soon H23), as well as HR2x series HD DVRs."
    I'll consider it a personal favor if you take out the colon following "include" (pet peeve).

"While many configurations and setups were tested, this First Look focusses on the migration from 1 wired and 1 wireless conversion to the DECA."

Change to "While many configurations and setups were tested this First Look focuses on integrating DECA adapters into a wired and a wireless home Ethernet network".

"An SWMLNB Dish or SWM8 is required to accompany the DECA technology (it has been speculated that the two hardware components may possibly be “merged” in the future, but this is not confirmed)"
    Change to "A SWMLNB Dish or SWM8 is required to accompany the DECA technology because the DECAs communicate via the splitter(s) used in the single wire systems. A Zinwell WB68 multiswitch system cannot use the DECA technology.

"(it has been speculated that the two hardware components may possibly be “merged” in the future, but this is not confirmed)"
    Not exactly sure what this means.

"OTA cannot be diplexed on a DECA-enabled system."
    Change to "OTA cannot be diplexed on a DECA-enabled system as they utilize the same frequencies.".

Also the PI is not absolutely necessary and is not used in my setup. My living room HR20-700 powers my DECA that connectsto the router; this DECA and the LR HR20-700 both have Ethernet connections to a switch which is then wired to the router.

7. Aug 4, 2009 #7 of 90
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The PI I have with the SMW/LNB is the exact 21 volt PI that I have on mine and is pictured. The 28 volt one is on the SWM8 setup, or am I reading your post wrong! :confused:

8. Aug 4, 2009 #8 of 90
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    How come the SWM8 picture is so blurrrrrrrrrred?

9. Aug 4, 2009 #9 of 90
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Some suggestions for page 3:

"(that blocks the DECA)"
    Change to "(that blocks the DECA from interferring with SWM operation)"

10. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    This thing can be worded a million different ways........

Let's just make sure it is correct, eh?

11. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Hey, not trying to be critical, mainly trying to answer questions before they're asked, like "I've got a (Zinwell) multiswitch, why can't I use DECAs?".

The suggestions can be used, or not.

12. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I wasn't directing that post towards you, I just didn't want this thread to end up like the other one with pages of ways to word things differently.

Anyway, you know we are going to have a swarm of questions to answer when this first look is released:lol:

13. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Some suggestions for page 6:

"Migrating from wired to DECA set-up was simple. First, I installed the “Stop Band Filter” between the output of the SWM and the first splitter. Next, I installed the first DECA near the router and powered it up using the Power Inserter and ran an RG6 cable from the first DECA to the 4 way splitter at my SWM. "

This is inserts the Internet into the set-up.
    Take out the extra "is".

"You must install a DECA at every receiver that is on the SWM set-up."
    "Must" is too strong a word here as a DVR can be outside the DECA cloud but still be connected to the same SWM splitter. I've got two connected that way, one via WGA600N and one via switch.

"HR20-100’s require the both Satellite inputs at the receiver to power the DECA, this is expected to change in the near future though as the HR20- 100 will not supply enough power from “Sat in 1” at this time to power the DECA unit."
    Take out the extra "the" between "require" and "both".

"Once connected, the DECA the “Power” LED should flash to indicate it is booting up."
    Take out the extra "the" between "DECA" and ""Power"".

14. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Suggestions for page 6:

"With a DECA cloud network in place, video breakups are virtually non-existent and audio is flawless."
    !rolling
    Alright, who's getting paid off here? :lol:
    Non-existent video breakups? Somebody got a special CE that I don't? :D

15. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    General Comments/Questions:

I did a poor job reviewing the preliminary material so sorry for all the comments now. Had a new toy to play with (motorcycle).

Do we know for sure whether or not the DECAs talk to each other directly, avoiding the router for more efficient communications? If so, do we want to mention that?

Some testers attempted to measure DECA throuput and performance. Did we decide if these were legitimate tests? Was there more throughput DECA-to-DECA vs the traditional Ethernet?

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree with those changes Stuart.
    Disagree, as this is taken out of context - this pertains to the DVRs in the DECA cloud, so must is appropriate in that case.
    Agree as well.

Nice catches to correct the grammer. If you look at this stuff long enough, it begins to all blur together...thanks.

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    We're reporting on our experiences....and I'd welcome you over to see this firsthand if you'd like.....I suspect we have several hundred hours of viewing by 4 people to come to that conclusion. YMMV. :D

18. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Fixed. Wasn't sure since we didn't test the R22 but the PDF file states it's supported. Updated post.

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    OK, I'm busted... I forgot to unlock the thread. I've merged the discussion thread into the original thread, and unlocked it.

dettxw: I will leave it to HDTVfan0001 to vet any changes to the text. I see he has already started.

Spanky_Partain: I used PDFs in order to keep the quality of the text high, but the photos you provided in the PDFs were just too large (in resolution.) Because I lacked the ability to work directly with your original (Visio?) documents, I had to apply a resolution algorithm to the entire document. This had more of an effect on the rotated graphics than the non-rotated ones.

If you have the ability to provide new PDFs with the target resolution set to 72dpi that would be about right and I wouldn't have to downsample them further.

20. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    OK, I will send you some new ones. I found one glitch on the DECA/PI on the SWM8 drawing and had to turn the DECA around. Let me see what VOS wants on the 28v PI and then I will send you some new PDF's.