1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drop AT/SD, keep only old HD, Locals?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by smokejoe, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokejoe

smokejoe Cool Member

May 12, 2005
    Have two 942s (1 leased, 1 owned) w/ AT60, old HD, Voom & Locals.

If I replace leased unit with a purchased one, can I drop AT60 and subscribe to only old Hd Pak ($15), Voom ($5) and Locals ($6) =
    $21?

2. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    You can subscribe to HD, Voom, and Locals, but it will cost you a lot more than $21.

There is a $6 (was $5 until 1Feb) fee for not subscribing to at least the Family package, AT60, ...

There is a charge for each additional receiver you have on an account (even if purchased). That should still be $5 for another receiver that isn't a ViP receiver (those are $6 if not the Primary receiver).

There is a $5.98 DVR fee for each DVR you have on an account.

The 942 is a dual output receiver that has a $5/month fee if you don't keep it (them) connected to a phone line.

You can get what you listed, but it would be $32.98 with the less than minimum subscription ($6) fee and DVR ($5.98) fee for just the single 942 that you own. If you purchased a 2nd 942, you would need to add $10.98 more for the additional receiver ($5) and DVR ($5.98) fees. Add another $5 for each one you don't connect to a phone line.

Pretty appealing???

3. smokejoe

smokejoe Cool Member

May 12, 2005
    Thank you CABill for totals.
    Not as low as I hoped but still $30.00 less per month than I pay now with AT60 - which I don't want. $360 less a year is ok.

4. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    You might be able to save a few bucks if you drop from AT-60 to the new America's Family Basic tier. You might also consider setting up an OTA antenna for locals, you could save a few bucks there too, if that is an option.

5. smokejoe

smokejoe Cool Member

May 12, 2005
    I figure dropping to Family Pak would cut my current bill $15 and dropping all SD will save $30 per mo.
    We do have OTA antenna but I believe we need locals to get OTA guide data.
    90% of our viewing is OTA. HD and Voom are worth the $15 mo. to us.
    The rest is just annoying fuzz compared to HD.

6. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Fifty,

Its "DishFamily" there is NO Mention from Dish with regards to calling it Americas Family Basic for a reason, that is your name, stop spinning this into something it is NOT.

The reason DishFamily is NOT considered a Core Package is it was designed to appeal to Christians amoungst others that refuse to pay for or have what they consider morally bankrupt programing from being available AT ALL in their homes.

If you chose DishFamily for another reason then that is your decision, but that does not give you the moral high ground to determine and or change the name of a service that belongs to another company to bolster your arguement, talk about hubris.

John

7. smokejoe

smokejoe Cool Member

May 12, 2005
    Too weird for me. I'm outa this forum.

8. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    Thanks for running off a poster who had a valid question.

9. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Fifty,

I partly agree with John's response to your post. It IS important to get the name of the package correct (how else can a person order it?) but I don't fully agree with his "religious" slant on the package.

I think what turns some people off about your posts is (among other things) the name that you use here. You might not know it but "Fifty Caliber" (or any other "caliber") is a widely used gang member name. You might want to think about changing it.

10. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Bill,

My post was not intended to be slanted at all against any religious group.

I was just trying to state that there are some people that refuse to allow certain programing into their home AT ALL regardless that other options that can be used to avoid being exposed to it.

My point was that some smaller subset of religious groups are more likely to want any of their hard earned dollarsgoing to content owners that distribute program they think is morally bankrupt.

John

11. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Even though you did not intend to do that it sure came across that way. Even I was a little offended by it.

John,

That is your "take" but I know several very religious families that have completely different views on the subject.

I don't think that this thread needs to be drug through the "religious mud". It is getting WAY off topic.

12. bear paws

bear paws Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    NE Ct.
    SIGH......??? :sure:

13. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    I am NOT going to change my screen name so that I can cave into PC silliness. I own firearms for purposes of protection of myself, home, car, family, and others I may be entrusted to protect. I also engage in recreational activities that involve discharging firearms. My screen name reflects that. If any of the above offends you, I will NOT apologize. I think life is too short to worry about PC-silliness.

14. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    Bear Paws, I've been meaning to tell you that I think your name is frightening. I have to cover the monitor when children are around for fear that your name will insight terror. I was thinking, maybe you could change it to "fluffy bear paws" or "mammal mani" ...that way it has a more friendly flair to it...

15. bear paws

bear paws Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    NE Ct.
    Yeah real life is all around us, isn't it? Actually you would best be advised to hide the women.:D

Bear ----!

16. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    Unless they have realy nice breasts.

17. bear paws

bear paws Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    NE Ct.
    I take the 2nd and the 5th :)
    Love my PPKs.380, 303, 10ga & 12ga short .:D

Bear!

18. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    I stick with even numbers, .30 Carbine, 10mm, .40S&W, .50AE, .500S&W Magnum, .50Beowulf, .50BMG, and 10ga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.