1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Drop AT&T But Keep D*?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DBSTalkUser01, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01 New Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Michigan
    I got the AT&T/DirecTV bundle about a year ago. Love DirecTV but not AT&T. Has anyone tried to drop the bundle but keep D*?
    How did that work out?

2. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    When at&t was partnered with DISH you had to open a new account and get new equipment. Either Directv or at&t may have to be consulted to get their answer.

1 person likes this.
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    incorrect, been there, just new account been created

as to TS question - I would cut the cord and will go OTA, with Netflix or other streaming service

1 person likes this.
  4. rickclem

rickclem New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Just did the opposite. Kept U-verse internet, dropped DTV added U-verse TV. More channels, ETF payout in the form of a debit card and about $50 a month cheaper for 12 months. I can sacrifice a tad inferior HD to save money. Don't do the NFL package so a non issue.

And after 12 months I'll shop around for a better price. They are out there.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

5. DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01 New Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Michigan
    Yea, I think I'll have to call DirecTV and see. Combing through the fine print it says "AT&T acts as a sales agent for DIRECTV and DIRECTV is responsible for providing the service." I'm sure I'm not the first person to consider this...

6. DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01 New Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Michigan
    Yea, if they had UVerse available to me I would have done that in the first place. I really just wanted something cheaper than cable....

7. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    I have a relative who had D* bundled with AT&T and when they canceled the AT&T services the only thing that changed was the bill credits were no longer applied on the D* account. The bills were always separate, they payed AT&T for DSL and Landline (POTS) phone and D* for TV service; never were the bills combined together. Nothing else changed as far as the D* account goes, which they still have active to this day.

1 person likes this.
  8. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    The discount for bundles service lasts for 12 months. After that, D* pricing is unaffected by ATT, and you have completed the ATT agreement (12 months). If you choose to find a different internet provider, it will not affect your D* service and there is no penalty from ATT.

-=K=-

1 person likes this.
  9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Good luck with Uverse. We had lots of problems, like no TV service for 15 hours.

10. rickclem

rickclem New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    15 hours over what period of time? A month? Year? And that's nothing compared to the down time I've experienced with DTV and my harsh winter.

I had Comcast for decades before switching to DirecTV. There were instances of outages with them too.

Now that I'm retired it's all about the price. And by shopping for the best one year deals I don't mind the wheeling and dealing.

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I have to ask where you live?
    We've had a lot of snow this winter and I only needed to clear my dish once.
    During the year there were several outages due to thunderstorms, but none lasted more than 10-15 minutes.

12. rickclem

rickclem New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Chicago suburb. It happens to be placed on the part of the roof where snow tends to drift. Never gave it a thought until the dish was placed there. Guess I could have it relocated.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I assume the way he worded it, that it was 15 hours straight on one occasion. I had outages like that quite a bit back when I was with Comcast, a time or two I think it was even for days at a time. Now with DirecTV I think the longest outage I've ever had at one time was like 15 minutes (obviously I'm not counting the times we have been without power). In the last 6 years I think I've only had a handful of recordings that were actually affected by outages (again, other than power outages), usually they happen early in the day or late at night when I don't have anything recording.

As far as your situation goes, yes I think it would be a good idea to consider having the dish relocated. I live in IL as well and don't think I've had a snow related outage at all this winter, even with it having been the 2nd worst on record in our area (after this weekend it might be the worst on record). I did have a short outage last week when we got the really hard rain. My dish is on a pole in the back yard, so even if I had a snow related outage I could have just gone out and brushed it off with a broom. Usually the strong winds at my house make that a non-issue though.

14. DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01 New Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Michigan
    I called the service number (which really just appears to ring through to DirecTV) and the CSR said that nothing changes on DirecTV's side except that DirecTV starts billing directly instead of bundled with AT&T (which mine is). And obviously lose the $5 discount...

Vonage here I come!

15. frytzz

frytzz Cool Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Take a look at Ooma for phone service...

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah I had vonage now I have ooma. Get ooma. It's just as good and cheaper.

17. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Not to steal the OP's thread but, please tell me more about this "ooma" .....

18. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ooma&l=1

19. DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01 New Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Michigan
    Forgot about ooma - Thanks. But it looks like it would be more than Vonage for me by a couple of bucks. Not to mention the ooma box is twice the price (at least today)

20. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Uh, ooma is free, just paying the taxes, unless you need the extra stuff.. I know I sure don't need the extra stuff since i use my cell phone mostly...