1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drugstore.com?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I'm price-shopping for an automatic BP monitor, specifically this highly-rated
    Omron HEM-630 wrist blood pressure monitor.
    [​IMG]

www.drugstore.com has by far the lowest price I've found on this item,
    and free shipping, but the customer reviews are mixed, with a few of the
    more recent ratings downright scary.

I would like to know if anyone here has ordered from Drugstore.com, and
    if so, when, and how would you describe your experience?

tia

2. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I've not ordered from drugstore.com, but not heard of any problems. I have heard that wrist monitors tend not to be as accurate as other designs. So I guess it depends on the accuracy desired. My BP has started edging upward, so I check it with an Omron automatic monitor (arm) -- it works fine, but reads slightly high. I suggest you do as I did, take it to a fire station or doctors office and do a comparison. I have heard the most accurate is the old fashioned bulb/stethoscope variety. But you have to be able to recognize the correct sounds, and its a little clumsy for one person to do by themselves.

http://www.hopkinshospital.org/health_info/Heart/Reading/homemonitor.html

3. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
  4. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    I have ordered from Drugstore.com many times. There are some items they carry that I use and can't find anywhere locally, so I order with some regularity.

I am amazed anyone could give a negative review. I have found them to be first-class in service. E.g. one bottle of skin toner arrived broken, they shipped out a replacement next-day with no questions asked.

BTW, I have an older Omrom wrist BP monitor, they're great.

5. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I just aksed my wife about this. She's a cardiac sonographer and deals with these issues everyday. Lots of her patients use drugstore.com and the Omrom monitor. The monitor is good (not as good as a cuff) and the web site is good too.

There is a system being developed where a tiny sensor is implanted under your skin in the thigh area. It transmits BP info to a computer which records and charts your data. All you have to do is pass within a few feet of the computer and it will receive the data. The data can be emailed to your doctor's office. Cool idea but several years from FDA approval. It has been sucessfully tested in dogs.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.