1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSL router upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dsw2112, Nov 13, 2009.

1. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Hi everyone! Need some recommendations on upgrading my wireless G DSL router. Mine is currently 4 years old and I'd like to take advantage of newer encryption, wireless "n", etc. Not looking for a bargain solution as I want a quality router with many/most of the newest features. I'll also need a built-in switch (at least four ports) and it does need to be DSL.

Mainly looking for some real world experience with the newer stuff and what people like/don't like about a particular model. I'm also a few credits shy of my IT degree (meaning I don't know much more than how to setup a home network) so any advice on necessary features/things to stay away from would be great!

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Do you mean it needs to be compatible with DSL, or that it needs to be have a built-in DSL bridge?

I use the Westell 7500 that I got from Verizon and so far it has worked far better than I expected.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Your best bet... Contact your DSL provider and get them to send you just a standard DSL modem... and then add the wireless router of your choice. I'm not sure that you're going to find many dsl modems with built in wireless-N.

4. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I had a NetGear (wirelessN) DSL modem/Router and it failed in less then 9 months. Service was really bad.Even through the unit was still under the 1 year warranty, phone support to even get it replaced was over the 90 days. Had to keep calling back to get someone to even talk to me about replacing it. When they finally said they would replace it - I would have to send mine in to them and wait before they would send a replacement. Could not afford to be out of service for 2+ weeks do I had my DSL provider send me a standard modem and purchased a Linksys wireless N router and it works great. Runs really cool where the combo modem/router was always really hot, probably the reason it burned out so soon. Linksys support has been really good so far.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Get a Linksys Dual Band. . . the older G/B stuff won't slow down your N things.

6. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    To be honest I'm not sure the difference. Right now I have a combo DSL modem, router, and wireless G device. I was hoping to do a one for one swap to a unit with updated capabilities (including wireless N.)

7. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks Greg, I was hoping for an all-in-one device. Any configuration complications to a setup like this? I configured a router behind a router once prior and it was a difficult proposition for me. Would this be anything like that?

8. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks Dennis. I have been hearing good things about the Linksys. For somebody with multiple wireless devices I assume the MIMO would be a good option?

9. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    This wouldn't be a router behind a router (which can get squirrely). This would be a router behind a modem. You can have the DSL modem handle your PPPoE (DSL user name and password login), or, you can put the modem in "bridged mode" and let your router handle PPPoE. Should be pretty straightforward. Other than that, you wouldn't touch the modem, and you would set up the router as usual.

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Ok, thanks for the info. You're right, there doesn't appear to be many combo devices to choose from right now...

Are N+ and MIMO worth the few extra bucks for someone with multiple wireless devices?

11. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Even if all of your current devices aren't "N", your next purchases likely will be. And if you're going to spend money on a new router, you might as well spend the extra few bucks to get the latest technology. If it were me, I would make sure to purchase something N-Wireless and Dual Band. Anything with those specs will likely utilize MIMO as well... but it wouldn't make or break my decision.

12. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    D-Link DIR-655.

13. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    D-Link 825 is also another good router compared to other wireless-N routers Linksys, Belkin & other D-Link routers

I have 5HR's 2 desktops, laptop, xbox360, ps3, wii, ipod touch, touch pro 2 all going through my router and have actually run the 360 & ps3 with netflix streaminhg at the same time on both of them without any lag at all

14. tomkarl

tomkarl Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    Take a look at Apple's Time Capsule. Solid dual band router and acts as a network backup device. Has four ethernet ports in addition to USB for a printer or a hard drive. You'll still need the dsl modem, but you can easily bridge the apple hardware to the modem.

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Yeah, the only wireless I can get here in CT (AT&T) is wireless-g.

I have a modem and a Netgear wireless-N router(see setup link below).

I pump two laptops, one desktop, one printer, three HR2x's, one Blu-Ray, one TV, and a Wii through that router without a single problem. :D

Mike