1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Approved Fittings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by chefwong, Jun 20, 2012.

1. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    For those that go through the gamut of DTV installs, what is the deal with the ever changing *approved* fittings.

One of the things that has always irked me, is that in the past, whenever I required a onsite DTV troubleshooting....and it has been almost 3 years since I needed one, I clearly remember the 4 visits in which every tech by default wanted and did cut the coax connector and put a new one in ---- making the cable run shorter on both the receiver and *av closet* side shorter each time. Same goes for when they went to the roof. Let's troubleshoot by not really doing much by changing the connectors.

I'm curious. So now that the current approved connector is not PPC EX6L but I believe it's SNS - when you walk into a site that has PPC EX6XL, does *the book* call for you to change it to the new ~approved~ connector ?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, If it's NOT changed- The QC GUY will Fault your (service) or install visit and cause your pay for that job to halved. that is why all connectors are changed as well as D* requirement to offset the cost the of installer--Helping the HSP by lower the cost of pay out of same.

Anything to deduct from the installer is cash back to the HSP and helps offset the cost of the QC salary- .

3. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    That, IMO is piss poor practice.

I'm not a installer but what about homeowners who don't have alot of *slack* and not knowing better....the runs just kept getting shorter and shorter, for no good reason other than some crazy policy on *QC*

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That is one of two reasons why the connectors (colors) & type are changed , The second is Cost of Connectors -based on Amount per thousands always looking for ways to cut more cost from the bottom -Rather than the top down.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
  6. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    Last installer that came out replaced the connector on one end of an old Cox copper-clad cable (the end that connects to the splitter on the outside of the house). He didn't replace the other end. I would have thought he'd replace the entire cable - it wasn't a difficult run (across the ground in the crawlspace). He'd been in and out of the crawlspace a few times that day, even after he terminated the old cable.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yeah, last installer I had out changed all the fittings on the ODU and anything he could see on the exterior. He didn't change fittings on the interior connections though; the only reason he came in the house was to check that the receivers were working (and they were.)

This was about 2 weeks ago... I was having the roof redone and thought that it might be best to get a person out rather than risk damage to the new roof. He actually changed the roof mount for a J-mount with the mount point on the wall, which I preferred anyway, less chance of water intrusion.

8. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    The EX6XL is Approved. So is another 'black banded' PPC fitting (I can remember the model off hand), and a Thomas and Betts 'Snap n' Seal' fitting (with a red ring).
    The 'approval' from Directv is based on weather resistance when used outdoors.
    Around here any compression-style fitting will pass a QA indoors.

9. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    As of the approved materials list I have dated DEC 2011, the following are approved connectors.
    EX6XL
    SNS1P6U
    PV6UE-05
    EX6XL-P
    EX11
    PV59-PV

A communication that came out after the approved materials list also approves the purple quad shield snap 'n seals.

Officially, we are required to swap every unapproved connector for an approved one. In reality it depends on how strict the QAs are in your area. I swap every outside connector and swap inside connectors if they are poorly made or not compression.

As a side note, the PPC EX6XLs are much better for use outside than the universal Snap 'n Seals my office uses.

10. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    I go by my book:

Inside connectors / connectors at lnb = if they are compression they are staying (unless there is something wrong)
    Outside connectors = if they are compression and on the approved list (which most are), they are most likely staying. If I am changing a bad switch or putting in a different one, I'll just cut them all off and put the new ones on. Takes about the same amount of time.

11. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree to disagree. I get the callback and I guess if you're a installer.....you try to minimize this cause YOU did not do the compression and you can't verify it.

I just think it's stupid to keep on cutting and compressing UNLESS it really does boil down to connector. Or how about changing out the switch, leave connectors alone if it was on a previous approved list and your *eyeball* tells you that it looks right ......run test indoors and if all is well, all is well.
    If indoor test has issues, then start at the connectors.

Frankly I don't agree with the whole connector issue. And I CRINGE if I have to have a service appt....as then there will be a tech coming out and the 1st thing he wants to do is cut my good connectors out, put his on....only cutting the cable shorter.

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I agree. I wired my whole house up myself and used good quad shield cable everywhere, and was very careful putting my compression fittings on. It has been working fine for 3 years. 2 weeks ago I had to have a tech out because I was having intermittent 771A errors. I told him it was most likely the LNB or the Power Inserter in the basement. First thing he does is pull the coax off the back of the DVR in the living room and tell me the compression fitting is bad (really is every fitting in my house bad, cause I'm having the issue on all my recievers). He cuts the fitting off before I can say antyhing, and then starts trying to put one of his on it. Mangles the hell out of it since it's quad shield and he's trying to put a regular fitting on it. Finally gets it back together, hooks it up, and it makes no difference. Then he finally listens to me and sees that I have the same 771A error on all my receivers and decides to go down and look at the power inserter. Then he wants to cut the fittings off of it and I tell him no. I said go try the LNB first. Goes outside, swaps out the LNB and my problem is immediately fixed.

I can understand wanting to check the cables when it is a relatively new installation, and it's been having issues since the beginning. But when it's something like my issue where everything has worked fine for a long time, and nothing has been moved, why would a cable suddenly start causing an issue, that would be one of the last things I would check.

13. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    From a service call standpoint to diagnose a problem it makes too much sense to just change the connector as you know you are doing it right. There is too much there you cant see. Now changing it just because there is a new connector out there I would agree is a waste of time, but I understand the purpose standards.

Now if you know more than the guy coming to fix your stuff then thats on you to step in when you know better.

14. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    While on topic of connectors....I use to use those SNS quads 10 years ago....switch to EX6XL and never looked back...

Out here in Gotham city, aside from DTV not making it their ~standard~, Verizon and TWC use PPC exclusively as well. I would think with so many shops using PPC (cost aside), they are using it for their R&D (less callbacks).

So whaddya say fella's. Do you think/feel the new SNS is a better connector than the PPC. Equivalent ?

15. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    What's the difference between the EX6XL and the EX6XLPLUS? I ordered a couple bags of EX6XL and received the plus version instead.

I also ordered a bag of EX6WSPLUS connectors.

16. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Funny thing is any pictures released from DirecTV Engineering have blue Digicons, which aren't even an approved connector.

I would say for outside purposes, PPCs win hands down. Inside, the SNS are much easier to prep onto quad shield coax.

17. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    A quick observation....SNS is a slightly thinner body.

Splitter mounted on backerboard. Needed a 7/16 wrench to remove or uninstall EX6L. Same results with a SNS...I was able to do it by hand as there was a MM of space for me to turn