1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV guide "To Be Announce"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sangweb, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    The problem started a week ago, all the sudden, the guide is showing all the channel as "To Be Announced".
    The receiver is the HR20-700 hooking up to a SWM16 with a DECA as per instruction from DBStalk. Everything was working fine until a week ago. I've went through the dish setup, reset everything, the guide is there after each of these steps but after an hour or if I turn it off and back on, all channel will said TBA. I've called DTV and they are sending a tech over because they think it is my signal but I have 5 other receivers all are working just fine. Any one has any idea what I can do to fix this? DTV tech won't be coming for another 4 days. TIA.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Reboot the unit twice in a 30 minute time period. This flushes the guide data that is there and rebuilds it from scratch. If you happen to have some bad data in there keeping good data from populating this will fix the issue. If not then it sounds like you have a unit going bad.

3. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    As a kid, I always wondered what the show "To Be Announced" was. It was listed in the TV guide and newspapers, but everytime is was scheduled to appear, something else showed up instead.

4. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    I am assuming that you are referring to pressing the reset button twice within 30 minutes spans? I'll try that to see how it goes, I'll post the result afterward. Thanks.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Didja ever wonder what the announcer meant when he said, "...and now a word from our alternate sponsor."?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I remember wondering what happened when it hit Off Air, but my parents didn't let me stay up for it.

7. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Actually you only really want to hit the reset button if the unit is locked up. The proper way to reboot would be to use "Menu" > "Setup" > "Reset" > "Restart Receiver".

8. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    give its 24-36hr to repopulated

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Better to do it from the Menu Restart command.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The one that always got me was, "With a live studio audience!". That's a comparative phrase and implies that some shows are recorded before a dead studio audience.....:lol:

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That red button is getting really popular again.

Rich

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    - I forget whether that was from Gary Shandling or David Brenner

13. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Ha ha. I always wondered what the show "various" was. It always aired overnight on some local station for 3-4 hours. I thought it must be pretty popular and awesome to run every night for that long. Wish I had seen it before it gave way to infomercials. :D

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That reminds me of the early days of HBO. They used to broadcast unannounced movies on Saturday evenings. My kids used to call it "Mystery Movie Night".

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You need to pause long enough between presses for it to flush the Guide.
    Doing so via Menu reset will show you when the box is ready for the second reset.

Please let us know how it's gone!

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, but it's not good. Using the red button instead of menu restart is like putting your car in reverse without first stoping all forward motion.

17. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Hurray for car analogies!! :D

18. sangweb

sangweb AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    I've done all the reset, even format the receiver, nothing helps, looks like the receiver needs to be replace. I've called DTV and they think it is the LNB but I've told them that out of 5 receivers I have, this is the only one that is acting weird and I'd moved this to another room just to see if it was the cable but same issue. Thanks for all advice and jokes :).

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good analogy. Shame so many people found out about the red button again.

Rich