1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV HD Battered Wives Syndrome

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bullitt, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    You guys with your pretzel logic that question anyone who believes there are principles being violated are the reason they continue to do this kind of crap. You sound like a bunch of battered wives. " They are doing this for our own good so they can continue to provide the best quality service" :rolleyes: Listen, they promised us HD with no additional cost and now they are raising our cost 50% for this service. What about the hardware cost for us early adopters with no programming except some sports and Leno? We have already paid enough for empty promises. I don't know about you but my monthly bill is usually $145 + so its not the 5 bucks dammit it's the principle. :mad:
    But this is OK with most of you because you trust they will do what's good for you.:lol: How many of you would accept a 50% increase in your daily double latte at Starbucks? Not many, I expect.
    No its not semantics when they increase your rate for accessing a particular feature 50%, its called exorbitant. But you can vote with your checkbook and send a message that you've had enough or just keep taking the increases that will surely come when some of the Channels with compelling programming start showing actual HD content. How long before Sci Fi, FX and USA become a tier for "only $5.00", ESPN Pak, Discovery Pack, do you see a pattern emerging here?
    I recently voted with my checkbook when I canceled Sunday Ticket Ripoff after 5 years.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Okay....

3. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    That's a little insensitive....

4. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Can you be more ambiguous?

5. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    What on earth is ambiguous about what he said?

6. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Insensitive???? regarding what?

7. kaysersoze

kaysersoze Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Feb 28, 2006

Except when they increase the number of services by 700%

8. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    My guess is that Tiebmbr took the time to excerpt from your original post, he meant the part he in fact quoted. :)

9. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    "You sound like a bunch of battered wives" is not quite the analogy I would have used when talking about satellite TV, either seriously or in jest. It's actually a pretty real thing.

I'm not going any deeper than that.

You have a right to your rant, and I'm not taking anything away from what you've said. I hope you find a way to get over what D* does with their pricing and services.

10. kaysersoze

kaysersoze Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Feb 28, 2006
    If we sound like "Battered Wives" I guess you sound like a pre-price change iphone buyer. You agreed to the cost you have paid, but feel in some way this entitles you to some kind of future consideration.

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Did I just walk in halfway through an argument or something?:confused:

The only similarity I can see with a wife is not knowing what the heck the OP is talking about.:lol:

12. markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    Am I suppose to read this? Oh look at that. I just got an email and it says...

Today's word of the day -

Paragraph.

Tomorrow's word of the day -

Spacing.

13. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Yet Another example of Pretzel Logic. 700%, Really? I must have missed that memo:rolleyes: Your Abacus probably needs some calibrating. What about the devaluing of your original package due to the migration of the only channels that were full time HD.:confused:

Unless you have some Ultra Secret Double Probation deal with DTV, you and I should be on level ground and I have not seen an increase in services equal to what you mention. Lets see, On September 30th my HD lineup was as follows:
    HD Access $10 TIER
    UHD, UHDM, HDNET, Discovery HD Theater, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, HDNet Movies, HBO, SHO, RSN's & Locals(all requiring separate sub fees anyway). With the exception of HDNET, UHD's & HDNET Movies the programming is more often than not SD. Now, I will have to pay an additional 50% to get the only channels that were full time HD because they have been moved to a new package.
    HD Access Ripoff
    MGMHD, MHD, Hdnet, Hdnet movies, Universal Hd, and the Smithsonian.
    By the way, this was not very compelling programming "The Mind of Andy Richter", Hogans Heroes, Black Donnelys, Bikini Destinations etc. But I had to pay so I could get ESPN HD Sometimes.
    So where's my 700%, if I don't opt to pay the additional 50% then I'm paying my $10 bucks for less not more. By the way, all the rhetoric aside, the Market will ultimately decide who's right and who's wrong. Meanwhile we have alot of HD capable channels broadcasting alot of SD video and film.

14. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Yeah Right and you never have called to get a better deal from an unsuspecting CSR.:rolleyes:

15. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    which OP:confused:

16. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    !rolling

17. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm sorry for the poor choice of analogy, "battered significant other", "battered person", "battered dog", is that more politically correct? The point is, alot of the people on this forum absolve DTV of any responsibility and defend their actions by saying it's for our own good and long term benefit. These are the same utterances one hears from people that are abused by spouses and parents and it is wrong because it validates the others behavior or actions.

18. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    You are wrong about this. Capitalism only works with functional free market. Satellite and cable TV are both licensed. There is no free flow of new sellers. The barriers are high.

I am a rational consumer, so I don't like price increase, either. With that said, I think you logic is not entirely correct. DirecTV is a carrier, not a content provider. The new HD channels take the transpoders on a satellite that cost DirecTV money to put in the orbit. It cost D* money to carry the program even if the providers only put SD on the HD channels. Barking at D* is barking at the wrong tree.

But you are right. You should vote with your wallet. I probably will save that $5 and use it in adding STARZ.

19. Jon D

Jon D Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    Dude! You might consider anger management classes! You're fuming over 5 bucks! Ranting about double lattes, and griping about things that haven't even happened!

And I don't know about anyone else. But, I resent being compared to someone who justifies abuse committed upon them because I don't have a problem paying 5 bucks for something I didn't get before. Ranting is one thing. Talking about battered women is over the line. Get help.

20. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Yet another coherent post :sleeping:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.