1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dtv installation nightmare

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by pers, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2011 #1 of 28
    pers

pers New Member

Jan 9, 2011
    two months ago I moved into this new townhome. I had directv at my old place and I requested them to do the movers installation after I got approved to have the dish installed at the back of the townhome under the eave. Day came installer arrived and said he could not do it because he need it an under the eave mount in order to have clearance for the slimline dish to have over the roof he told it would take two weeks for them to have it and I said ok. Two weeks came by and another installer came he started to walk around and decided he could not do it in the back of the house that it need it to be in the roof then I told him what the first installer told me what he needed to have which was that mount and where was it I guess he did not know what I was talking about and then insisted that he cannot do it that it needed to be in the roof. Then he just left I called directv about this matter and they said that a supervisor was supposed to call me today. No one did, now I was getting mad I contacted the executive office of directv and they told me they would have a lead tech come out and do the install in two days. The lead tech came out I ask him about the under the eave mount and he told me that their warehouse was closed.This was a sunday by the way. I said you have got to be kidding me. there was nothing he could but promise he'll make sure that they bring the under the eave mount in another two days. Then I received a phone called from halsted communication appologising for the delay and they promised they'll get things done. when the two days came by guess who show up at my door the second installer who came by the first time that told he could not do it that it need it to be on the roof. I said why was he here that I wanted the lead tech that had come last time and not him. He was telling the same story he can not do it and he does not have the mount. I just told him to leave. I immediately called dtv and told them what kind of joke is this I am really fedup with this. They told me that they would send a supervisor the same day. after a couple of hours a supervisor show up and after doing some site survey he said that it could not be done in the location I provided because it was vinyl siding it was against dtv rules and that the dish woud be more secure in the sheetrock. I would had a appreciated if they first installer would had told me in the first place. I was so mad. But after doing some survey myself there is an are where there is sheetrock and I feel the dish can be installed there. I provided a picture pointing the location where I think the can be placed with an arrow. what do you guys think

Attached Files:

2. Jan 9, 2011 #2 of 28
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Here is what I think is going on,

From the little I can tell from your picture and description of installation attempts I think your installation could be a technically difficult. And so everybody who has looked at your work has found a way to pass the job on to someone else. Should anyone succeed in getting you up and running there is still a good chance something will go wrong with your installation. In that event they will be personally penalized for your system problems. So why do it?

That is what I think is going on.

Joe

3. Jan 9, 2011 #3 of 28
    kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    Obviously I myself couldnt give good judgement just going off that picture, but the dishes need a lot more room to be mounted than whats on that picture (the white part).. I think the first tech was just not being upfront with you.. Obviously I dont know your situation, but if your complex is allowing you to mount it somewhere on the building, why wouldnt they allow you to do a POLE MOUNT?

4. Jan 9, 2011 #4 of 28
    wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    joe is right , the system DTV has in place basically steals money from any technician trying or doing anything out of the ordinary, so something crazy you just talk your way out of it. for a house like that its on the roof, or on a pole. around here they dont use under eave monuts at all. alot also depends what direction the dish needs to face. if its toward the front of the house, nowhere you are pointing to would work. even sideways probably wouldnt work there because the signal would clip that overhang.
    Im not sure what yuou are calling sheetrock. the only sheetrock i know of is interior drywall.

5. Jan 9, 2011 #5 of 28
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Are you certain your complex would let you mount a dish there? When it comes to "unusal" installs understand that the "free" D* install is not going to cut it. A best bet would be to contact a local company.

Yep, I don't know of any homes that have sheetrock on the outside :lol:

6. Jan 9, 2011 #6 of 28
    pers

pers New Member

Jan 9, 2011
    my apoligies I mean't shingles not sheetrock

7. Jan 9, 2011 #7 of 28
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    There may be a rule about mounting on vinyl siding, I don't really know... In any case (whether it's siding, shingles, etc) you're not mounting to those, you're mounting to what's behind them.

8. Jan 9, 2011 #8 of 28
    pers

pers New Member

Jan 9, 2011
    dtv has really wasted my time by sending this clueless installers. I am about done with them there is a local retailer that has been constantly call me about getting dish network. I am going to try them and see what they say in installing in that area.

9. Jan 9, 2011 #9 of 28
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Going mostly by the one picture posted, and 7 years of experience, here's my take:

- An under-eave mount isn't possible here; there are no exposed rafters.

- DirecTV does not allow Slimline dishes to be mounted to fascia boards, because they are too big and heavy, and your fascia boards wouldn't be big enough in any event.

- Assuming we're looking at the rear, and the dish needs to face the front, there's no way to mount it on the wall, even IF you didn't have vinyl siding. But you do, so that would be out anyway.

- My only option would be installing the dish directly on the roof, and if this building is more than 2 stories tall, it would be a custom install (i.e., you'd be paying me extra). If you couldn't get permission to install on the roof, then you'd need to talk to your cable or phone company for TV.

A townhome is not a single-family home, and townhomes are not constructed to be friendly to satellite installs. Yours is a bit more difficult than average.

But as others have mentioned, this install is likely to be a losing proposition to a DirecTV installer. You've got both a "homeowner" *and* an HOA to deal with (and to submit damage claims), you don't have permission to install the dish where it needs to go (the roof), and chances are that there are several other issues which will make this install difficult, time-consuming, and otherwise a big hassle.

So... since you don't have permission for a roof install, most installers are going to bail as quickly as possible and move on to a job that they'll make some money on.

"Free Install" = basic and simple installs. Yours is neither, so if you aren't willing to offer a tech something extra to make an effort, he's going to run away, because the system does NOT reward him for going the extra mile, and in fact, it's much the reverse.

10. prestone683

prestone683 Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for that Battlezone. I worked for Halsted. 1/10 of HSP installers are from them. I personally know Kirk and Whitey. I don't know if either of them would argue about all your points. 2+ stories, no roof mount, shooting into the house, HOA, Townhouse. *Shivers*

That's all a bad, bad feeling.... We have never gotten paid enough to do crazy ass jobs like that.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Correct!,

But the way the game is played = I noted a new install in my area where an unknown tech spiked a dish into a vinyl siding wall + numerous other horror shows around the county. Folks called me because I live here. There was so much **** raised that DirectSatUSA failed to pay their "sub partner" and he failed to pay anyone else. He left town as the judgments piled up.

Therefore, last year I did two Directv installations and one DISH installation.
    I made more money driving truck. I may even reinstate my teaching certificate rather than roll the dice on getting paid for satellite installations.

It still amuses me to view the new guys attempting the slightly challenging stuff & screwing it up,

Remember, for every horror show that ends up here there are thousands of plain vanilla installations that go in every day. Those who do not get activated become CATV customers or learn the benefits of libraries.

Things are going OK enough not to fix that last 2%,

Joe

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    BZ,

You must be mistaken! I remember the DirecTV CEO ordering that all techs get a GPS. I got up for another beer when he must have announced that any unpaid techs who sent in unpaid invoices wwould be paid and then pigs would fly.........

Joe

13. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Here is where you put your dish. On the siding.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5105/25034525458orig2.jpg

Dishes mounted to the side of the house are MORE secure than those on the roof. That's because the siding wood is thicker than the roof wood.

Sometimes you get a few techs in a row, who don't know what their options are.

Or, you don't have permission to put it in the side, in which case, there's not much he can do.

14. prestone683

prestone683 Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Try again....

No installs on vinyl siding. We were told we could.......

And then out of the blue they (HSP supervisors) started failing our QC's if we installed on vinyl, especially since they can crack.

Personally, I never liked siding, because, vinyl creases and collapses as you tighten it down, and mounting to the side of the house means getting behind it can be a PITA to align/dither, AND if you aren't careful, you have to swing too far, left or right, AND then the reflector can hit the house, before gaining full signal. (I sighted with my compass, but apparently, I was off by a little, once at least)

Roof's give full range of spin, and on a single floor porch roof, are quite easy. Pole mounts give full range as well. And poles are convenient to install, service, and access... (little bit of digging of course)

15. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >No installs on vinyl siding.

Well, check this out. You think I should have called for the 40' ladder?

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7913/railroadavevinylsiding.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4392/railroadaveview.jpg

>And then out of the blue they (HSP supervisors) started failing our QC's if we installed on vinyl, especially since they can crack.

That blows. But every Halstead office has different rules. I've worked in 3 offices so far (two were road-trips).

>Personally, I never liked siding, because, vinyl creases and collapses as you tighten it down

Yeah it does. It's a judgment call when it's tight enough.

>and mounting to the side of the house means getting behind it can be a PITA to align/dither, AND if you aren't careful, you have to swing too far, left or right, AND then the reflector can hit the house

If you can put your ladder to the side of the dish, you can access the fine adj wheels and the LNB. Hitting the house is something you should scout with the compass first. Although it does worry me.

The bigger problem, is that the mast only goes to 90 degrees max. So if the siding is 91 degrees vertical, you will have a tough time leveling it...

>Roof's give full range of spin, and on a single floor porch roof, are quite easy. Pole mounts give full range as well. And poles are convenient to install, service, and access... (little bit of digging of course)

Yep, a pole can go into the ground in the same timeframe as a roof mount.

And when I do roofs, I try to do it in 1-2 ladder climbs.

For the siding pic I showed, I probably climbed the ladder 8 times. Lol.

But it was only 16'.

16. prestone683

prestone683 Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    I concur about Halsted. Massachusetts was the best but I worked in Binghamton. WHITEY'S OFFICE and HOME BASE. Ugh... lol

I also concur about everything you said about vinyl. But again, 'a roll up with a 40, means now a failed QC you can expect.'

I finally also concur about roofs. I would take the dish (LNB preinstalled), monopoles, drill with bit, lags, bishops tape, coax *single, double, or two doubles respectively* and my birdog ultra. The most awesome meter I ever used. They gave us those Accucraps, but the ultra could power out 21v and run a SWM head off the meter without an ASL, and a power inserter running, etc... so when I came off the roof with my drill and meter, that dish was DONE....

Nice feeling. It would take so much work otherwise. Install the dish, wiring, grounding, switches, ALL THOSE ****ING LOOPS, screw clips, phone wires, boxes and unpacking, power inserter, THEN back to the dish, align. Then power the boxes, and activate. Ugh. Up and down, up and down...

17. swillotter

swillotter Mentor

Nov 7, 2008
    you could use an elephant mount if dish needs to face the house. i wouldn't want to put it on the vinyl siding personally unless supervisor told me i had to.

18. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    I've never seen an elephant mount. Nor have I seen an S-tube, which is what I think this discussion was originally about...

>the ultra could power out 21v and run a SWM head off the meter without an ASL,

Yeah, but nobody here has ultras...we are all using the Plus and/or the super-buddy. I probably spent 50% on the plus vs. those meters.

I would like to get the directv AIM meter...now that is badass...it gets 99/103 and does installation verification. Only $400, if you can find one.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Prestone,

You seem a better man than the system you are working in.

Compare what you get for a four holer with .......$60.00 to drive there + $60.00 for each hour working. Charge retail + for all materials you use & charge another $60.00 for activation, reloading your truck & cust. instruction.

Oh, yeah...charge $100.00 for using the 40 ft ladder and charge two hours @ $60.00 for the helper to tote that sucker.

Where are you?

Joe

20. pers

pers New Member

Jan 9, 2011
    hello, I just wanted to provide an update in regards to the issue on putting the dish on the vinyl siding and not on roof due to townhomes hoa. I found out that a neighbor has had his dish in the middle of his roof for the past 2 years. After I ask them on how they were allowed? they told me that they were approved by the board more than 2 years ago and that he had not have an issue and not even with dish itself. So once I found this out I decided to have mine in the roof itself.There should be no reason for me not to have it on the roof if this neighbor had his for more than 2 years already. I made an appointment for directv to comeback an put it on the roof but once again directv installers drop the ball because I wanted them to install it in the back roof so I could be discreet about it and make it no visible from the front of the house the installer said since it that the signal of the satellites were over the roof that I would get the signals from satellite 119 and I wonder why would I need that satellite for I bet that satellite had no HD in it. And another thing was he did know how to get the cable to home distribution. So again he packed and left. At this time I finally gave up directv. I called and canceled. Then I called dish network they came and installed their Dish on the back roof with no issues whatsover. I believe they installed an eastern arc satellite pointing more east. This is how my adventure with directv ended along with not allowing me to put a dish on roof. If neighbor has it in roof then I have it too.