1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Installer screwed me, again

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by MikeS., Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 #1 of 49
    MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    Last year an installer came out and was supposed to install 2 new runs (2 additional runs) into my living room. Which required a multi-switch upgrade. D* CCR had put all this on the work order. Tells me no cost to me.

Installer gets here, doesn't have the bigger switch. Tell me it will cost me more bucks out of pocket. I tell him to cancel the order. I immediately called D* and the tech agreed bigger multi-switch was to be included at no charge. Install was rescheduled and done at no charge. Different installer comes out. Other than a new 2 year contract no charge to me.

So today the same installer comes out, supposed to install an HD dish and HD-DVR. He gets here only has the receiver, no dish. Says the work order only shows the receiver. He says they'll have to reschedule for Friday. I tell him that's not acceptable, he needs to call his boss. I call the CCR and she says the dish is clearly on the work order.

While I'm on the phone with the CCR he reschedules the appt. for Friday and takes off w/o a word to me. I call CCR back and she is the one to tell me that I'm rescheduled. I ask for a supervisor, get connected to a decent guy. He says he can't contact the home install manager, appt has to be within 2 hours. Appt. isn't until Friday. We talk some more and I let him know how how upset I am. He puts me on hold and talks to his manager.

As of right now I have a Thursday install. I'm not happy. They are going to try (his manager) to contact the home install manager and get to me sooner.
    I told him I don't want the same installer back out here. This guy has screwed me over twice now.

He did credit me back the $99.00 they charged me for the HD-dvr upgrade.

I asked him when my contract is up, I have another year, which is what I thought. I'm ready to quit D* after 8 years and go to Comcast. I'm that mad.

2. Dec 6, 2010 #2 of 49
    TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    This story is all too common. Have you thought about doing a self install like most of us have done?

3. Dec 6, 2010 #3 of 49
    wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    on your first job why was he supposed to run 2 additional runs ? for later on use you mean ?

4. Dec 6, 2010 #4 of 49
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Ya know, this is an interesting contrast!

I am in contact with an installation company around here. I don't plan to work for them. I am looking for information or leads that will help me track down a few company principals that I have judgments against.

Installer screwed be again...BFD! My four thousand bucks plus interest is a small one on the installation business. Two cable runs and $99.00 is chump change.

Joe

5. Dec 6, 2010 #5 of 49
    wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    i was just asking because we only run what wires are needed for whatever we are installing. otherwirse its get out your wallet time. i dont care what the work order says if its not a line item on my handheld then its either cash, or it dont get done. CSRS put all kinds of stupid stiuff on work orders, none of that even matters. I have to buy this wire and it dont get run for nothing

6. Dec 6, 2010 #6 of 49
    MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    The 2 additional runs were for a 2nd receiver in our living room. That was to be installed at that time. The 8x multi switch that was there was already full.

7. Dec 6, 2010 #7 of 49
    MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    I'm not physically able to install the HD dish. I could install the receiver.

8. Dec 6, 2010 #8 of 49
    wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    thats a different story , that should have been done then. sounds like that guys an ass you are right for not wanting him back in your house.

9. Dec 6, 2010 #9 of 49
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Most of us have installed our own equipment? Other than a new box, I seriously doubt most of us have done it.

10. MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    My thought are this guy doesn't want to do any real work, twice he showed up and couldn't/wouldn't do the install.

11. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    yeah id say less then 5% of people on here installed their own hd dish if that.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Unfortunately, you see why dealing with contractors and DirecTV can be a hassle. This is one reason why DirecTV is trying to pull the service techs into DirecTV as opposed to using contractors. I'm not saying that all contractors are bad... far from that. But, when there is an issue, it makes it very difficult for the customer to get things rectified.

It sounds like thought that DirecTV is doing what it can to try to get you going on the right track.

- Merg

13. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    Okay I guess I overestimated. "Some" of us installed our own equipment. In all honesty, if you want something done right (your own spec) ya gotta do it yerself...

14. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I don't recommend that anyone try to dither their own KaKu without a proper meter :D

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Then it could be the other way,

The HSPs (Home Service Providers) that Directv has caused to be in the installation system have provided contractor separation for Directv. Then the HSPs have, in my experience, abused their position in one way or another. This has not only embarrassed Directv but it has also produced low quality service to Directv customers. So now that a customer base has been established on the backs of contractor techs Directv is trying to fix the mess they caused and benefited from.

Try a Google search for any HSP + lawsuit + any state.

My opinion,

Joe

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Don't be mistaken. They're scared. The smart ones are anyway.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ive installed every dish Directv ever had (except the Alaska one), and used nothing except the meter on the receiver to aim it. High 90's all the way around, 10 minutes max.
    Takes a little longer for the 6 and 10 foot tracking ones.

18. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    Same here (Yes I've installed an international dish as well). It takes me about 30 minutes to peak the KaKu's though.

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree on both fronts.

Indeed there have been some install horror stories previously, especially with a handful of certain subcontractors - most of which are no longer used. There are a few still out there, but going bye bye.

As Merg pointed out, DirecTV has learned the unfortunate truth that subcontracting customer-facing services comes with risk...and it has not worked out well in a number of cases. For that reason, they are working to control the entire install chain themselves.

In the mean time, as for the OP - we are all hoping you are made whole in your situation - it appears efforts are in play to get you where you should have been in the first place. Best wishes.

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just curious, what's the DirecTV install policy for a "bigger multi-switch" beyond the WB68 nowadays, since the former WB616 in no longer used?

I thought to go larger than the 8 outputs on a single WB68 requires paralleling them?