1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV lies, frustration and now what should I do..?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by buckZor, Jan 15, 2009.

1. buckZor

buckZor Mentor

Sep 15, 2006
    So the gist of this question is: How do I actually get an HR23?

I have a electronics cabinet which is NOT conducive to installation of the HR2x units, mainly because of the RF antenna and external BBCs. Imagine my excitement when I learned about the HR23! I have (2) HR20s currently and an R15 already in other locations in the house.

So I called DTV 2 weeks ago, on a Monday, requesting the HR23 and explaining my installation need for an HR23. Rep assured me that wouldn't be a problem, notated my account that customer needs an HR23 model, gave me a good offer (free year of HD programming) as an incentive and told me my HR23 should be delivered by Wednesday or Thursday. Great! I was elated. Friday came and I called DTV to see if they had a tracking number as I was worried. Low and behold the Rep said my order was cancelled on Tuesday, with no reason given. Grrrr :mad:. So, this rep apologized for the mixup and placed the order again. I again stated very firmly that I needed an HR23 because of the internal BBCs for my installation specifics. This rep argued with me for awhile, talking about how the BBCs were no better on the HR23 that both models had the same hard drive, blah blah blah until I finally got it through his head that I had a short depth installation with cable routing that makes external BBCs unworkable and that I had called to order specifically because of the HR23. Finally he agreed to place the same "customer note" on my order and advised me to call back on Monday to get a tracking number. I did and got the tracking number. Now this morning an HR22 arrived at the house.

I've had a busy day at work and have been having difficulties completing the DTV calls today (I do have a job afterall). First rep I spoke with said there was no way to specify which model I will get and that I should just buy an HR23 at a local best buy. Called 2 best buys in my area and they do not even have HR23s in their system. No luck. Called back, pressed harder and was transferred to the "ACE Department". Got a guy who understood my problem, he seemed very helpful, placed me on hold and the call dropped. Called back and finally escalated again to "ACE Department" where the rep proceeded to tell me there was no such model as an HR23 and that I have been misled. He proceeded to cancel my receiver order and told me to use the return shipping information inside the HR22 box.

I am so frustrated. 2 weeks of fighting these people. Can anyone give me any advice? I really need an HR23, I know some people want them for the supposed PQ difference, I don't care, I just want the internal RF and BBCs. Anyone? Someone? What do I do now!!!!??? :nono2:

Edit: Oh and I live in Portland, Oregon.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It's unfortunate that some CSR's don't know what to tell you (I don't think they're lying).

The fact is that you cannot specify which receiver you will get.

If you must have an HR23, you need to find one locally and buy it, or find one on the internet and buy it. That's it.

3. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Unfortunately DirecTV does not differentiate model numbers in their inventory. They have HD DVR's. All they have is HD DVR's not HR20's, HR21's, HR22's, HR23's, etc. Because of this they can't guarantee any specific model. They only way you will definitely get a specific model is if you purchase it in a store and can verify the model yourself. It sucks, but thats the way it is.

There is one other option - get a SWM. The BBC is not required when using one of these plus you will only need one cable going to the DVR instead of two (might help a bit with limited space). Granted, probably way overkill and not what you want to do but it is another option.

4. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    As far as I know there really isn't any way to guarantee that you get an HR23 unless you buy one yourself at bestbuy or costco. That makes it really tough because as you have found they are very hard to find.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    As suggested, probably easier to pickup a SWM module from somewhere like solidsignal.com or ebay and do a SWM upgrade yourself if you feel up to it, then you do not need to worry about BBCs and only need one line to the DVRs.

6. buckZor

buckZor Mentor

Sep 15, 2006
    SWM - Wouldn't that require a new dish? I have a KaKu.

Best Buy - Best Buy assures me that no Best Buy store in the country has an HR23 for sale as it is not in their system anywhere.

Costco - Uhhh.. I guess I could drive down to a Costco and look but they don't do merchandise pricing/quantity..anything over the phone so this could suck.

Buy one online - Where? Are there online vendors that sell HR23s? Throw a brutha a link? :yesman: Don't see one on solidsignal:http://www.solidsignal.com/cat_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=DIRECTV Receivers :nono:

7. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
  8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The two types of SWM's are the SWM-ODU (i.e. Single Wire Multi Switch - On Dish Unit, a.k.a SWM-LNB) or the SWM Module (currently, the SWM8 multiswitch). The SWM8 replaces (or can work with) and existing standard multiswitch like the WB68 and WB616,
    which would be fed from a traditional "KaKu" 3 or 5 LNB dish and LNB.

Another (much less troublesome and less expensive) alternative in all of this is to just make some "patch" cables to move the BBC's far enough from the rear of the unit for clearance. Theoretically, they could even be moved to be located at the multiswitch. This does require some patch cables and barrel connectors, but those are much less expensive than buying a SWM.

9. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    You were reading my mind! I had the same issue as the OP. I made two 3' cables to get the BBC's out of my cabinet. Works fine......

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The other concern of the OP was the RF antenna. Most HD DVRs don't require that (I believe only the HR20-100 does). I have a HR20-700 and HR21-700, both of which have a built-in RF antenna. With a SWM, neither of them uses a BBC either.

11. buckZor

buckZor Mentor

Sep 15, 2006
    Thank you again for all the responses!

Extending from the BBC - This was what I was going to do originally with my first install 2 years ago but the "Senior" Ironwood installer STERNLY prohibited me from doing so saying that any extension of cable beyond the BBC would void the warranty of the box and reduce signal quality if it even worked. He cited several cases that he had personally seen where the onboard circuitry of these units was "fried" by doing just that. He even went to the length of warning me saying he was notating my account that I had been verbally instructed NOT to do that after he left. It really seemed to piss him off. :confused:

Internal RF - Wait, I have both models of HR20 and both of them have the snap on the back RF antenna..? Are you telling me that HR22 boxes have internal RF? The internal RF was mentioned as a highlight of the HR23 first look so I'd be surprised that they would comment on that if it was the defacto standard. :scratch:

12. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The only HD DVR that has an external RF antenna is the HR20-100. All others including the HR20-700 is internal.

13. GlassWolf

GlassWolf Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    please define SWM and BBC. I'm not familiar with these initials.

14. Sailor Bill

Sailor Bill New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Hello,

I decided to try Direct Tv after having been with Dish for many years. The incentive to change was the Direct TV promotion which would save money for a year as well as they have the Traverse City, Mi locals in HD. When I weent in to my local supplier, I asked if I would be getting the latest equipment available and was told yes. When the installer came, I asked and received the same. While I was watching HD for the first time that night, I felt that the HD picture was not as good as the HD was on Dish so I checked the model number of the installed DVR's and it was HR22. I looked on DBStalk and discovered that the latest was an HR23 and that some had said that it had a better picture. I emailed the owner and his reply was that his distributor didn't have the 23 and didn't know if he was going to get it. I also noticed that the 22 doesn't have the ability to do 1080P and even though it's not currently a big deal, it will be eventualy but I will have to pay for an upgrade unnecessarily. Does anyone think that I cannot tell them to cancel and take their back. It has been less than 72 hours since it was installed and I feel I was mislead. Thanks.

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    HR22s are still in production, so it's still current.

The entire HR2x line can do 1080p, so where ever you got the information that only the HR23 can is wrong.

The difference in picture quality betwen the HR20/21/22/23 is purely subjective.

IMHO, you have not been misled. You do not have a leg to stand on because you didn't get the absolute latest revision. Sorry, thats just how I see it.

16. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    :welcome_s
    I must agree with Robert here.

17. ToddinVA

ToddinVA Godfather

Mar 5, 2006
    Why is the HR22 still in production?

18. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SWM = Single Wire Multiswtich. A new technology that allows you to use normal splitters and only one line for up to 8 tuners instead of having to run a separate line to each tuner like in the past.

BBC - B-Band Converter. Black box on the back of some HD receivers to allow reception of the signal from some of the new satellites.

They try and keep a few in production from different manufactures so as to keep a steady flow and not be dependent upon one source.

19. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I feel so out of date with my HR20 and dual HR21's.

20. Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    You do? I only have 2 HR-20's and an R-15 to boot :D