1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Local Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Shawkir, Oct 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shawkir

Shawkir Cool Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Would anyone know if..............
    If I was to move from Arizona to New York and never change my address with DTV, plug a phone or network cable to my HR22-100. Would my subscribed local channels automatically change to New York locals because I live within the New York local spotbeam?

Thanks,

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No. You need to call DirecTV and give them your new service address. Your subscriber agreement states that you need to keep DirecTV advised as to the location of your receivers. Since you live in Arizona now, your receiver is authorized to receive the LiLs from that particular spotbeam. So, when you move to New York, you won't receive those LiLs since you are not authorized for them.

- Merg

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They would not. You would likely have no access to LIL at all.

This is one of the features of spotbeams that helps keep subscribers honest.

4. Shawkir

Shawkir Cool Member

Oct 21, 2009
    ok,..... I am new to Directv, The packages are kinda confusing me, I am trying to figure out the cost and what package would be the best just to add the networks CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox........East and West..............

Thanks,

5. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Using DIRECTV service at an address other than your actual address is against your Customer Agreement with DIRECTV, and such discussions are not allowed at DBSTalk. Please leave that part out of the rest of the discussion. Thanks!

6. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    why did directv make the sat go if you can't take it out of your house.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The sat go falls under the same as a receiver in a RV. It also can only pickup one satellite at a time so if the locals don't come from the 101 you won't get them.

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You will receive locals only for the city your zip code places you in. There is no east-west. If you are moving to New York City you will receive the locals for New York City.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's not quite true, Greg.

DirecTV offers many special options for folks who want to install a receiver in their RV or other mobile vehicle. And they also sell a device known as SAT-GO which is a combination receiver and flat screen TV SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to be used at locations other than the one listed on your billing statement.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    What you are talking about is Distant (Local) Networks. These are covered by FCC regulations, and you can only get them if you qualify for them. That generally means:

- if DirecTV doesn't offer locals to you, AND
    - if you are unable to receive the locals using an over-the-air (OTA) antenna, AND
    - the individual local stations in your area grant you a waiver, allowing you to have access to a distant feed.

For about 98% of DirecTV customers, they have zero chance of getting waivers. The remaining ones often have to work pretty hard to get them.

There are some specific exceptions for RV accounts, but again, you have to qualify for them; they aren't just given out automatically.

11. Shawkir

Shawkir Cool Member

Oct 21, 2009
    What are channels 380 to 399?

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Those are the Distant Locals, but you will not receive them unless they are on your account, which means you need the waiver as previously posted.

- Merg

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's right and I was particularly interested in the requirement that you actually have to FAX a copy of your RV license registration to DirecTV to qualify! Also, the receiver in the RV isn't "mirrored" and has to pay the full subscription fee in addition to the subscription fee for the receivers located at the home of the subscriber. (It's not just another $5/month)

14. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Perhaps I should clarify what I meant since there seems to be some confusion.

Intentionally falsifying your address in order to receive alternate programming is considered against your Customer Agreement with DIRECTV, and such discussions are not allowed at DBSTalk.

Here are a few excerpts from the customer agreement to further clarify: