1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV only pays installer/contractor $80, whether the job is 1 hour or 4 hours?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bluemoose, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 3, 2008 #1 of 136
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    I was chatting with the installer who came to my house the other day. He told me that DTV only pays his company $80 for each job, whether it's 1 hour or 4 hours. A simply dish swap and DVR install may only take 1 hour, but once the DVR is powered up, it may take another 20 to 30 minutes to update before they can activate it... then there's other variables that can stretch a short job by another hour or two. Is this true? Or was he just trying to get me to tip him?

Also, he said if something goes wrong with the install, DTV will not pay them again. The original installer who came out will have his $80 pay deducted in half. The other $40 goes to the second installer who has to come out to fix the problem...

The company in question is a contractor working for Mastec.(a company that works with DTV in my area)

:confused:

2. Jan 3, 2008 #2 of 136
    Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    he may of been trying to get a tip but from what he says it is true, we get paid by the job, installs are 55, 15 for additional receivers, all services cost the company 75 and you only get 15 if you are there form 20m to 8 hours you get 15

3. Jan 3, 2008 #3 of 136
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    now I feel so bad, I should have given him more tip...(only gave him a $20, since that's all I had in the house at the time... could have written him a check)

by comparison, my car dealer's service dept has a sign that says "base labor rate: $165/hour, vehicles not picked within 24 hours of completion of work will be charged $30/day for parking" But they do have six gorgeous 58" 1808p plamas TVs in the waiting lounge, as well as a $3000 espresso machine(that I've been wanting for years), and on weekdays mornings they even have a chef making cooked-to-order breakfasts for waiting customers. Nice perks, but there's no way I'm going to give them my business after the warranty runs out. :D

4. Jan 3, 2008 #4 of 136
    gothamcity

gothamcity AllStar

Jan 3, 2008
    tip an installer? I have never heard of such a thing. Is it my problem the installer doesn't get paid much money? I didn't choose his career for him. If Direct TV is selling a service with free installation why would I pay for it because the guy doing the install doesn't make much money?

5. Jan 3, 2008 #5 of 136
    fusion04

fusion04 AllStar

Dec 10, 2007
    By giving the installer a tip, you are not "paying for the installation". You are expressing your appreciation for a job well done by the installer by giving a little extra to the installer.

6. Jan 3, 2008 #6 of 136
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    That's also why I don't tip when I go to restaurants... :D It ain't my problem when the restaurant owners don't pay the waiters enouogh money.... :D

7. Jan 3, 2008 #7 of 136
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    I wonder if any DirecTV installers have ever submitted stories to the Penthouse Forums.... "....after I finished hooking up the DVR, the lady of the house gave me a....." :D

8. Jan 3, 2008 #8 of 136
    gothamcity

gothamcity AllStar

Jan 3, 2008
    I would expect a job well done by the fact that Direct TV is paying him to do the job right the first time.....:)

9. Jan 3, 2008 #9 of 136
    phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Thats in poor taste. Maybe togo would be a better idea.

10. Jan 3, 2008 #10 of 136
    davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    and some people wonder why your free install is bad. At that rate a good installer will find another job that pays. $80 covers about 1hr in the real world of service.

11. Jan 3, 2008 #11 of 136
    HD AV

HD AV Legend

Nov 22, 2006
    The last installer that came out told me he gets $12.00/hr. He said he usually works 12 hr days 6 and sometimes 7 days a week.

12. Jan 3, 2008 #12 of 136
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    that's what my installer said as well.... he worked 7 days a week in December. Only got one day off in the entire month, only because of the ice storm on that day... :(

13. Jan 3, 2008 #13 of 136
    slimline

slimline Legend

Oct 29, 2007
    true and some donot even get paid that much 70 for dish and first receiver and
    20 for every one after that. thats no joke thats why there is so many crappy install stories you get what you pay for ......................

try sitting on hold with d tv for an hour, waiting for the ird to update,
    hmmmmmmmm

and service calls to fix problems you think they would pay good
    here is what they pay 30 try driving 80 miles round trip for a service call for 30....................

14. Jan 3, 2008 #14 of 136
    shelland

shelland Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    If by some act of God I ever experience a 'job well done', I'll certainly consider a tip.

I've had 3 DirecTV installs over the last 3 years, which have required a total of 10 installer visits to get things working.

No offense to any installers here - I can only comment on my personal experiences... (which have been far from good)

15. Jan 3, 2008 #15 of 136
    Birdman79

Birdman79 Legend

Apr 7, 2007
    From what i 've seen middle or lower class folks are willing to tip more then upper class ones...:grin:

16. Jan 4, 2008 #16 of 136
    cantrellswire

cantrellswire Mentor

Jan 4, 2008
    Greetings,

I had to jump in on this discussion. I am a contractor under Mastec and I have to say, the compensation is more than horrible. The days of the "professional" installer
    are well over. I installed for about 2 years some 4 years ago. I've just invested thousands to get back into the business and I am extremely disappointed. In the past three months, I have worked for two companies and I have only received some $1,200 from them collectively. If it weren't for another source of income I would have gone bankrupt by now. I am only continuing in the business for prospects.

In the two shops I worked in few spoke proper English, even fewer had a clue as to what they were doing. The overall attitude of the supervisors was, "Get it to work, we don't care." I spent most of my time cleaning up other peoples messes. It really is a shame, DirecTV, in my opinion has the best television service out there. How they've survived with the poor installation management and compensation thus far is beyond me.

I'm continuing to do a job well done, any training I receive is provided solely by myself. I can not deny the business prospects I receive through DirecTV, that is what keeps me going.

Anyway, I've gone off on a rant and I believe I've lost my point.

Indeed, tips are not necessary, but if I know I'm going to get a tip or custom work, you'd better know you're going to get an professional install. You get what you pay for, compensation from Mastec in DFW is $60 for the antenna and one receiver, $10 for each additional receiver no matter the amount of time or materials involved. Ka/Ku upgrades are worse, $35 for double the work. After cable, fittings, drop materials and fuel, we may as well be making minimum wage.

In conclusion, best of luck to you ordering DirecTV. Chances of you getting me are slim to none.

Blake Cantrell

17. Jan 4, 2008 #17 of 136
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    Sooner or later, I think this will come back and bite DirecTV in the ass.... :) When the customers are unhappy, they usually blame DirecTV, not the contractor.

18. Jan 4, 2008 #18 of 136
    mpaquette

mpaquette AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    I tipped my installer $40 because he did a fantastic job. My 3 previous installations were done by me so I was a bit leary of letting someone else do it. He installed the pole, grounded everything correctly, hooked all 4 cables to the dish, sat on hold during the activation, etc. etc. Yeah, I know he's supposed to do that stuff, but too many times these days people don't do what they are supposed to do. When I get good service I tip.

19. Jan 4, 2008 #19 of 136
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA

bluemoose was just being facetious.....

20. Jan 4, 2008 #20 of 136
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    Just to be clear, my name isn't Christopher Moltisanti.... :D

Thread Status: